Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall phlox 'Nicky'

Posted by forensicmom 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 12, 10 at 13:12

Does anyone have any experience with this one? I was searching for a hot pink colored one and I found this at the nursery. The tag says disease resistant but I know that doesn't really mean anything since most of the ones get powdery mildew. I guess I want to hear something positive and that I made the right choice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall phlox 'Nicky'

Hi~'Nicky' has been around; its reliably hardy and very resistant to powdery mildew, but that depends so much on growing conditions. You need to leave room around the plants so that air can circulate. I find that means they not only grow larger, but they also spread by seed, so give it some room to ramble. Similar in habit to bee balm. I kept the one seedling that looked like my original 'Laura', but that was a happy accident.

Here's something interesting about the color. 'Nicky' is close to 'Laura' in color, without the white eye, right? My 'Laura' has a reddish magenta color that almost vibrates. I have read that 'Nicky' changes color. ' Blue Paradise' is said to have this same quality, changing from reddish purple to magenta, with a red eye, I believe. Phlox is one of my favorite plants, so I definitely want to try these.

o

I was going to a local garden center today (not HD or Lowe's)to see if they had any garden phlox available but a storm/rain came up and decided since those type plants are always on the upper level, I wasn't going to take a chance to be caught up there with no shelter. Will go another day.
That Blue Paradise is calling my name. Would love to have some red ones too. Do you think the garden centers would still have Bee Balm this time of the year too?

o

My BLue paradise gets mildew while Laura and Nicky do not. Great color, but not as healthy leaves.

o

Good to know. Thanks for the input. I have a daughter named Laura, named after my Grandmother and I had a crush on a boy in high school named Nicky.That was way over 50 yrs. ago..maybe the Nicky phlox will be as cute as he was! Silly debate, isn't it? LOL!

o

Original German name for the plant is Dusterlohe. The flowers burn to white in the sun. Apart from that it is not completely selfsupporting and fall over in rain+wind. The same applies to French cultivar Iris(identical). The only one in this colour which is selfsupporting is Border Gem. It also burns in the sun, but not that badly as the two others. Blue Paradise is a flopper, as well as Blaue Morgen(a little bluer in the evenings). None of the purple phloxes resemble Laura even by a long shot.

o

I was attracted by the title "tall phlox" is there any other kind? No matter how much I cut mine back they are always too tall. Al

o

Yes, phlox subulata creeps on the ground. There are also other types, 'half-high' . Try to type phlox in Google. It will come with many suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here