Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peterk312

Watering lavender in containers...?

peterk312
10 years ago

Should lavender dry out completely in the summer growing season if it's in a small container (8" diameter plastic pot) before watering? I've heard terrible things about crown rot and overwatering so I'm being cautious, but I don't want to stress the plants if every day the temps get to 90 degrees F.

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

wouldnt it depend how big the plant is???

a huge plant in a small pot.. will need a lot more water than a small plant...

i wouldnt put too much stock in confusing the drainage requirements of mother earth.. with growing in pots .... your bigger problem with a pot.. is that it can heat up significantly.. when it gets bone dry ... and if you fry the roots.. how damp they are or were.. isnt going to matter ...

if its been fine so far... i dont know why you would be trying to FIX something that isnt broken ...

dont kill it with too much love.. by overthinking it ...

ken

ps: i would think your bigger issue with damp soil.. is trying to dry it out enough to winter it over .... thats when i bet your issue will arise.. not cutting back water in july/august... eh

• peterk312
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So then the soil in the container for lavender can generally stay moist to the touch and there won't be any risk of crown rot?

Regardless of the size of the plant, there must be a general rule for growing lavender in containers. As I say above it's an 8" plastic pot, and the plant's roots are filling about 2/3. It's not a big plant in a small container that's in danger of drying out, then again, I thought lavender is supposed to dry out, meaning don't water it unless the soil is completely dry. That's really all I'm trying to find out. The soil mix composition is 50/50 peat/ perlite type, no compost, and fairly fast draining. It stays noticeably moist for about three days, but I'm thinking I might be overwatering (more common with lavender from what I've heard) and I want to avoid a problem.

Yes, it's potentially fixing something before it's broken. Now if I could just get a straight answer from someone experienced with lavender in containers...

• mistascott
    10 years ago

You don't want peat with lavender. It will retain far too much water and eventually the peat turns into a sponge. I would use a cactus/succulent mix with some added pebbles/stones.

I would only water once, maybe twice a week if it is really hot. How often are you watering? Your potting medium is too moisture retentive if it is staying moist for three days baking in this hot sun. They are not fans of a ton of water, but this is more of a problem in winter.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

English lavender does fine in my swamp. A lot of Mediterranean type plants seem to like a fair amount of water, no matter what the books say.

In other words, my in the ground lavender has handled several inches of rain a week without getting at all offended. I don't think it has ever heard of crown rot. The plants really don't read the same books we do.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting