Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Any plants with chevron leaves that are well behaved?

Yeah, there are a bunch of notorious weeds that have a chevron on their leaves, not asking to hear about any bad boys here, just the opposite.

I didn't want to get distracted talking about whatever leaf I could have chosen to demonstrate what chevron means for those unsure, so being the accomplished and highly skilled artist that I am, I drew a generic one.

The chevron (arrow shape) can go either way, but usually is in the direction I drew. I can be visible because it's darker, lighter, variegated, maybe several different colors.

Please enlighten me if there are any well behaved plants with this kind of marking on their leaves, and where you experienced them. TIA!

Comments (10)

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

Hi purpleinopp
    that`s a tricky one. First thing that sprang on my mind were weedy Polygonum/ Bistorta. I plan a project where we sow (well, we plan, contractors sow) lots of meadows, but right now mostly those Polygonum are popping up with lovely chevron leaves.

So I searched the Polygonum-section of my favorite nursery and found that P. filiforme.
    ----
    I didn`t grow it, but just going by the description it should be a nice one. They don`t mention runners/ spreading (and they do with other plants like Aster Ashran), plus they recommend to plant it in small groups from 1 to 10 specimen. That is only the case with not/ slow spreading plants
    well, perhaps you find some more and proper information on that in the web,
    otherwise I am really curious what other recommendations might be,

bye, Lin

Here is a link that might be useful: Polygonum/ Bistorta

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input!

I wouldn't trust any plant in the Polygonum genus. (Shudder.) The linked leaves are very attractive though! As are most with a pretty chevron. Like being hypnotized.

As I suspected, nobody knows of a well-behaved plant with chevron leaves...?

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 12:05

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

According to a number of sites, Persicaria microcephala 'Red Dragon' does not run or set seed and it's absolutely gorgeous.

Both Bluestone and Lazys's carries it.
    In fact, I'm thinking of adding it to my garden, it's absolutely stunning.

• ornata
    10 years ago

I have Persicaria 'Red Dragon' and can confirm that, in my garden at least, it neither runs nor sets seed. It's a lovely plant but can get a bit unruly towards the end of the growing season. Very easy to propagate from cuttings, too.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Really love this plant. The page of google images is amazing! Had I not asked this question, I would never have looked twice at a garden store plant that looked like that. Sounds like there's nothing to fear if accurately labeled. Didn't start this to find cultivar plants ('cuz ya usually can't find them in local stores if searching on purpose, the only way I shop,) but never know what you'll see out there. I would absolutely buy this if I saw it, hope I do, and now know to look.

Looks like that's a sterile cultivar plant, so pretty much guaranteed to not show up in anybody's garden as a mystery.

Couldn't tell if Polygonum microcephala 'Red Dragon' is a synonym or if this has been renamed. I get so sick of researching that crud, but mentioned so the info under that name could be found also.

Thanks for the inputs!

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

It is indeed a synonym.

I am very, very fussy about culivars so I buy a lot of plants online. I have several very good nurseries in my area, but if none have a partcular plant I want, I'll order from a mail order nursery.

• marquest
    10 years ago

I have had such bad luck with online vendors it is my very last resort.

My local nursery will order what I want if I tell them what I am looking for. They just stick it in with their Spring delivery if I let them know the summer before what I am looking for if their vendor is growing the plant. They do not get little 4" pots but gallon plants and I have a better survival and a guarantee. I do not mind waiting until the following summer for a gallon size plant that would cost the same thing if I ordered and paid the shipping.

a2zmom if you have a local nursery you deal with often talk them and they might order the plant for you. You get a much better plant that way.,

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey purp... was tooling around the web.. and though of this post.. when i ran across the pic at the link ...

the name of the plant is in the link name... i think... lol

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:250803}}

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

marquest, I'm curious which online vendors you used. I'd say at least half of my plants come from Bluestone in the days when they had that fantastic June sale.

Apart from that though, there are cultivars I'm interested in that most wholesalers don't carry. If the wholesaler doesn't have them, your nusery can't order them. So I turn to online nurseries. I've gotten some great plants that way.

• Jon Roffe
    3 years ago

Persicaria 'Lance Corporal'. An upright knotweed to 24". Will self seed so needs keeping on top of. Green leaf with pronounced purple chevron, hence to military rank themed cultivar name.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus