Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

I finally found a Salvia I like

aachenelf z5 Mpls
10 years ago

Salvias and I have not been the best of friends the last few years. In fact, I finally composted a few of them last week after trying to find a place they liked and failing miserably. Most were too floppy, short bloom season, or just not that attractive overall.

I think I finally found a winner: Salvia Sensation Deep Pink

{{gwi:250858}}

I bought this last year, so this is the first year it's bloomed. It's on the short side - about 10 inches, but some websites say anywhere from 10 - 16 inches, so maybe it will be larger next year. It's been in bloom for at least 2 weeks, has been through several wind and rain storms (60 mph winds) and still looks pretty good IMO. I'm not sure about repeat blooming. Some places say late spring to midsummer. Others say repeat blooming later on. The color is nice and deep too.

Does anyone else grow and like this one?

Kevin

Comments (10)

• duluthinbloomz4
    10 years ago

You know, I ran across Sensation in my garden center hopping. Good weather and planting was so late up here this year and we're typically cooler than you are in the Cities.

So far it's a winner and a good color with all the other salvias I have. I can always use a good pink with all my blues and greys. Salvia does well for me - no flopping and an excellent deer thwarter. I do dead head and get a fairly good second flush. This one is new so we'll have to see what and how it does

I mostly have May Night, East Friesland, Purple Rain - the usuals.

• boday
    10 years ago

I'm with you on Salvias. I'll be watching for your updates. Appreciate followups.

• terrene
    10 years ago

That is a pretty perennial salvia! I tried 'Rose Queen' years ago and it died out. However, Salvia 'May night', 'Caradonna' and 'Snow Queen' have been quite durable as they've lasted in the garden for about 7-8 years. I enjoy the blooms each year and the bees really like them too, even though I don't care for the smell of the foliage.

I also grow a bunch of annual Salvias and love them, S. coccinea, S. splendens, and S. guaranitica. And I grow common sage, Salvia officinalis.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

duluth - Yes, the color does work well with a lot of things. On the far right edge of the photo you can see a bit of my Blue Oat grass which looks really nice with this. I bet Veronica Royal Candles might be nice if you like something with high contrast.

terrene - Rose Queen was one of the ones I composted. It just didn't work for me. And yes, I really love S. coccinea too, but I don't have it any longer. It was a reliable self-sower for me, but for some reason disappeared. You just can't beat that intense red for late season color.

Kevin

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Oh wow - you don't like "May Night"?!?

• duluthinbloomz4
    10 years ago

I've got a fair assortment of Veronicas, the names of which I no longer remember. Most of them an intense blue. I've got some that are entangled in weeds (grass seems to be my nemesis) so they're a bit straggly this year. I'll get them free eventually and they'll probably bush out.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

I've rarely found a salvia that didn't do well for me. Currently I have May Night which has been there for at least 10 years, Rose Queen (mine not only did not die out, I really should thin it out a bit - it's a little too happy), and Eveline. I also have a gorgeous cross between Eveline and May Night - it's much bluer than May Night and has larger flowers like Eveline.

I normally also plant some annual salvias - Black and Blue, Lady in Red and whatever else strikes my fancy. I can't think of any other plant that comes in so many colors and has such a long season of bloom. It's not unusual for me to get three flushes from May Night.

• rusty_blackhaw
    10 years ago

"Black and Blue" has been perennial for me for three years now in its current location.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did buy 'May Night' last season, but it didn't bloom. This spring, it didn't emerge and I figured it was dead like a lot of other things. Yesterday, I noticed a few sprouts finally making an appearance, so I moved it to a better location. Last night, a rabbit chewed it off. We will see.

eric - You got me all excited about 'Black and Blue' and then I noticed its hardiness range - zone 7.

Kevin

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

Salvia Caradonna is so superior in every respect compared to the other nemorosas, that you do not have to have others. Got rid of Eveline - floppy in part shade. The most attractive S. nemorosa for flowers is Schwellenburg (absolutely gorgeous fat inflorescence). Sadly, the plant prefers lying position, which is not what I want.