Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

Which perennials rebloom after deadheading?

Liatris, gaillardia, various bellflowers, phlox, monarda, veronica....any of those? what else? I can't list everything that I have (which are most of the things you can find at generic garden centers), and my gardening books don't really mention this. I know the peonies, lilies, clematis won't.

Wondering where to direct my efforts in this extra hot weather.

raee

Comments (10)

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Monarda may a little bit if cut back, watered,and fertilized. Veronica definitely will. Some other ones that are fairly reliable rebloomers include fernleaf yarrow, feverfew, most of the ornamental catnips. Butterfly bush has a pretty extended bloom season, from July until hard freeze for me.

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

Phlox may,if cut early, but not as abundantly as the first time. Out of bellflowers(I assume Campanula?) Campanula trachelium definitely will rebloom, especially Bernice. Campanula lactiflora will. Others that may bloom more with continuous removal of spent flowers: Helenium(depending on variety), Anthemis, Delphinium(depending on variety and not guaranteed). Centaurea atropurpurea and orientalis. Rudbeckia Herbstsonne(Autumn Sun) definitely. Echinops will send up flowering stalks, but not always make it before the frost.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

trace down a stalk .. at every leaf junction.. if you see a little bud .. and cut off all above.. that bud will trigger growth..

and the end result of that growth is a flower ... if there is enough season for it to all develop ...

the easy plant to see this on.. is a rose.. since all the stuff is be enough to see easily ...

so on pholx.. e.g. ... they will do it.. but probably not for a month.. and then there probably might not be enough time for a third ...

i dont care what your list has.. just look for the dormant buds.. and cut a few stalks.. and make your observations as to which are worth your effort.. and which arent ..

and that is how most of us learned how to do it.. before we decided we were too lazy to mess with it all.. and were just happy with the first wave of flower .. lol ..

experimenting .... and learning about the buds is the easy part.. lol.. its remembering what you learned this year.. NEXT YEAR THIS TIME ... that is usually the problem.. consider a journal by plant name ...

ken

ps: the ONLY function a plant has.. is procreation.. and the only way to set seed.. is to flower.. so if you do NOT allow it to seed.. in theory.. it will keep trying too .. until it goes dormant ... so.. in theory .. technically they should all reflower.. until they do .. now.. whether they all adhere to this rule.. who knows.. lol .. [of course now i think of hosta.. and they wont reflower.. but they will crown divide.. so perhaps they can cover the procreation.. by means other than seed production .. but then they dont have dormant buds on the flower stalks].. can you tell its 104 outside.. and i have nothing better to do right now?? .. lol ..

Here is a link that might be useful: the second pic shows how they cut the rose cane at a dormant bud.. so a new rose will be produced from that bud

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all three. 100F here today too; so I am just thinking about deadheading, not actually doing it!

• mistascott
    11 years ago

My book (DiSabato-Aust) lists Liatris spicata, Gaillardia, Campanula, Phlox, Veronica spicata, and Monarda didyma as perennials that rebloom/extend bloom if deadheaded.

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

No need to experiment when much of the research has been done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Off With their Heads

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

the experimenting.. is what aids me.. IN REMEMBERING.. since i did it myself ...

as compared to getting one million hits on a web search.. and reading until i am so confused.. that i cant even remember my name.. let alone where the door is.. to get out into the garden ...

regardless.. mollys link is a pretty good overview .. and a list .. but the question is.. will i remember where i put the link.. come next summer.. lol ... oh yeah.. it will be in the favorites folder.. with the other 2 bazillion garden links i have .. lol ...

ken

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Some of the type 2 prune clematis will rebloom after removing spend blooms and cutting back a bit if the season is long enough. If you ask on the clematis forum about your particular variety (if it is a type 2 pruner) someone may be able to tell you whether yours is one that is likely to rebloom for you. Type 1 and 3 in general won't rebloom.

My tall phlox blooms for much longer (and seeds around much less) if I deadhead.

• mistascott
    11 years ago

You will find that experience will dictate which plants respond well to deadheading and which do not. For example, my Shasta daisies ('Silver Princess') showed no signs of producing new flowers at the lateral leaf nodes but was producing tons of basal foliage with buds, so I went ahead and cut down to the basal foliage.

Just because a plant is on the list doesn't mean your particular plant will respond -- just that those species tend to benefit from deadheading. If anything, there is an aesthetic benefit. DiSabato-Aust writes that you may improve the longevity of perennials that tend to flower themselves to death (Shasta Daisies, Gaillardias) by allowing basal foliage to develop at the expense of current growth.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the replies....and the good links!

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years