Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Big thank you to Rouge

aachenelf z5 Mpls
10 years ago

Last year you posted a photo of Rudbeckia triloba 'Prairie Glow'. I fell in love with it, remembered it and ordered it this spring. I got 3 of 'em.

The first one has started to bloom - really early for a triloba in my experience. Since these usually have a habit of blooming a very long time, I expect this is only going to get better as the summer progresses.

{{gwi:251049}}

{{gwi:251050}}

To say I am not disappointed is an understatement. I love this one! It's about 3 feet tall, well branched and should not require any support - again from my experience with triloba. The other 2 plants are already over 4 feet tall and just starting to produce buds. Actually one is open and it appears to be a dark mahogany. Evidently, the colors are really variable as is the size.

For comparison, here's the regular Rudbeckia triloba. This photo was taken a couple of years ago.

{{gwi:251051}}

So thank you Rouge for introducing me to a spectacular plant. Any updates on yours? Did they survive the winter or behave like normal biennials? Seedlings I hope?

Kevin

Comments (10)

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Lovely, Aachenelf, Rouge.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

Outstanding Kevin!

I am very sorry to say that none of the 3 "Prairie Glow" that did so well in their first year survived to this year :(. And at first glance It appears that there was no reseeding either as I have seen no evidence of any trilobas in the immediate area.

I hope you have better success with yours for next season.

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Oh wow. Very nice.

Another plant to add to my wish list. You enablers! I think my summer garden is going to become quite hot color focused. Already planning on helenium Mardi gras too.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is why I appreciate this forum so much. When someone takes the time to tell everyone in detail about his/her experience with a particular plant,, I take note especially if it is something I'm not familiar with or for whatever reason haven't considered before. Prairie Glow was one of these plants.

And by the way, that delphinium you see on the right is because of an extended conversation on this forum last summer. I can't give you a reason why I've never tried delphs before, but that conversation convinced me I was missing out on something. For sure, more of these next summer. I'm in love.

Kevin

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Nice! Count me among those who were impressed last year, you have a one up though in that I didnt remember enough to act on it over the winter, so I'm still triloba-deficient. I tried to remember to get a few seed heads of the regular kind from a friends garden but of course forgot!
    Nice job and great memory. Rouge, perhaps yours will still show up.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I usually have triloba self-seeding by the thousands each spring, but I think I'm going to make a point in collecting and saving seed from these just in case they aren't as prolific. Maybe if I get my act together, I can offer some seed to those of you who like this one as much as I do.

Kevin

9 years ago

Update request:

Kevin, I am hoping you will take note of any successful self and or your intentional seeding of PGlow. After a great experience with this plant 2 seasons ago I had *no* repeat of this triloba last year (2013). I am hoping you will be more fortunate. (I am also curious if these new plants will be true PGlow or a reversion of some sort to a traditional triloba).

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rouge

Interestingly one of my plants survived the winter which is very unusual for triloba. Usually they bloom and die 99.99% of the time.

{{gwi:251053}}

I had three last year and only one bloomed the brilliant orange and gold. The other 2 were more of a rust and gold. I don't know which one this is since I didn't mark them.

I also did not take seed from the orange one, so I don't know what is going to come up. I'll save some of the seedlings when they appear and hope for the best next year when they bloom.

Kevin

9 years ago

UPDATE

After getting no PG babies last year...too aggressive weeding maybe, it seems I will have some not as nice mutation of this cultivar this season. (I wont get much of any of these plants as the deer seem to lop off the top every couple of weeks).

What about you Kevin and others....any sign of this years PG?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The one plant that survived the winter (pictured above your post) is blooming right now.

{{gwi:251054}}

The color is nice IMO, but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it next year if it survives the winter again. At over 5 feet tall, it really does take up a lot of room in my small garden. I do like it though, so I'll I have to use the winter to think about it.

Another not-so-great thing about this plant is it really seems to attract some kind of chewing insect. Up close, almost all the flowers have been chewed by something. I don't remember my regular gold triloba having that problem.

And yes, I do have quite a few seedlings which of course won't bloom this year. Not sure what I'm going to do with them.

Kevin