Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Who has a Bobo this season?

So many of the perennials I have added to my garden the past few years are due to good reviews of GW members.

I had lots of success with "Bobo" hydrangea last year (see link to last year's thread) and I am wondering if some of you now have it in your garden and if it is doing well. I went from 2 to 6 (4 more planted late last fall as part of a border). And by the end of this week 5 of the 6 will be smothered in white panicles. Here is one as of today (the green tinge will vanish as the blooms mature).

Here is a link that might be useful: Bobo is bodacious

Comments (30)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    9 years ago

I got one of those last year after you posted that thread. It's doing well but isn't flowering yet. I also planted a Bombshell last year - that is one I've seen mixed reviews about, with negative comments re weak branches and floppiness. It's certainly a weaker-stemmed, smaller plant that Bobo, but they both look promising, especially since they are both later to start blooming than my big White Moth ones, so that should extend the hydrangea season of interest. I'm a sucker for hydrangeas :-)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'woody' I gave away both "Bombshells" as it appeared that the stems would be unable to support the flowers.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    9 years ago

I'm planning to do what I'm doing with The Swan hydrangea - prune it to gradually build up a sturdy framework of older stems to support the new growth - first, though, I have to see how Bombshell performs this year to see whether it is worth the effort....!

See link below re funny commentary on The Swan - I have that one and am trying to assist the process of transformation from ugly duckling to swan - and control its ultimate size - by pruning it to make a sturdy framework!

Here is a link that might be useful: re The Swan

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

I bought three Bobo this year because I needed a reliable summer-flowering shrub around my patio. So far: Eh. They just look odd with the huge panicles atop smallish bushes. I would assume as the bush grows in height over the years it won't look this way. Still, eh.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

I picked up a Bobo last year after the thread on GW. It was small and took quite a severe beating from the winter. I didn't think it was going to pull through but looks quite good now. No flowers this year, but I'm just so pleased it did survive!

Original Author
    9 years ago

'mxk3', I know exactly what you mean re the large flower or two on a small bush. Next year it will reward you and 'thyme'.

• ked1985
    9 years ago

I was trying to choose between Bobo and Little Lime a week ago. I was looking at both at the nursery and the poor Bobos has just fallen over from the weight of the flowers. I ended up going with the LL (which was just starting to bloom a lovely green).

Original Author
    9 years ago

I have both LL and Bobo and when mature they are self supporting. I much prefer the bright white of Bobo blossoms as compared to the green tinge of LL flowers. To each his own of course.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

I picked up a LL this past weekend along with a few other goodies. I think on opposite ends of the garden tucked in they'll balance each other nicely.

• felisar (z5)
    9 years ago

I just bought Bobo. I had an empty spot that was crying for a small shrub with massive flowerpower and Bobo fit the bill.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    9 years ago

Bobo is one of my favorite hydrangeas and I have more than 100 hydrangeas. I like bobo so much I bought dozens of them.
    {{gwi:251114}}

{{gwi:251115}}

• greenhavenrdgarden
    9 years ago

Oh, and compared to little lime (which I have and love also) the bobos are able to support their flowers so much better. My Little limes end up falling over with the weight of the flowers. Not as much as pee gee but way more than bobo. My little limes I had longer than bobo so they are more mature.
    I love them both though. LL has a denser flower which I love. But bobo is gorgeous too. Bobos flower much sooner than little lime. They start soon after quick fire and dharuma. My little limes are just starting to flower now. The bobos in the above photos were planted last summer-mail order from sooner plant farm.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Outstanding GHG!

It appears your BOBOs are in full sun? If so what zone are you in?

I have 6 as part of a border. Here are two as of today:

• starlight99
    9 years ago

Wow! Georgous Bobos....they are one of my favs....I have two planted this.spring and they are doing great...but another planted last year has no blooms yet....otherwise they are all healthy. Yours look just like the photos on the tags!

This post was edited by starlight99 on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 17:32

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I see Bobo is supposed to get 36" high and spread 48". How large are yours after 2 or 3? years, Rouge. Anyone growing them in z:4?

Original Author
    9 years ago

mnwsagal, I like this hydrangea in part because it blooms reliably only on new wood. Because of this you can trim it to whatever shape and size you wish and still get tons of flowers. And so even my 3 year old Bobo is very compact. (All 6 are about the same size, about 2' by 2' with blooms. Although I wonder how large it could get if I didn't do any spring pruning.)

I am betting this most recent out of character extra harsh winter is similar to what one would experience in zone 4; none of my Bobos perished.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    9 years ago

The bobos I posted above get sun about half the day. A big old maple blocks the sun until 1pm. A row of trees block the sun all morning and then after about 5-6 an old oak tree blocks the sun. I have some that only get a few hours and they are just as heavy flowering. My yard is mostly shade. I have bobos in every range of sun possible and they all look equal.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    9 years ago

Oh, and I'm in zone 6.
    Someone mentioned no blooms yet. Do you have deer? I do have a few that aren't blooming but they are the ones that deer got to a month or so ago. They ate just as the buds were forming :-(
    Last year I almost yanked a QuickFire bc it wasn't blooming. I couldn't figure out why. This year it's covered in blooms but other paniculatas that did great last year have no blooms. I finally figured out it was the deer.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    9 years ago

Rouge, I planted two of them last fall after seeing your posts/pictures as I love my limelights (I have 5 of them) but need something smaller to fit into a backyard sun garden. They were online orders in 2Q containers so tiny plants. Now they are about 1.5 ft tall and covered with blooms even after the long and really harsh winter. They grow in full sun and absolutely need no attention or watering. One of my favorites.

Sorry my husband took this picture with his phone so not very good focus. But you can see it is covered with blooms. It is about 2-3 weeks earlier than the Limelight hydrangeas in similar locations.

• starlight99
    9 years ago

My bobo was eaten to the ground by rabbits....I could see straight cuts on all the branches at the bottom...in February. It is very healthy and still under 2 ft. No buds yet though....fingers crossed!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Excellent 'vivian'! It looks wonderful.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Bobo is by far one of the best Hydrangea paniculata cultivars I've come across.

It stays compact, doesn't flop and flowers extremely well...including in some shade. A better compact cultivar than Little Lime as this plant can barely hold up the flowers. I have one massing that is now 4 years in the ground.

Trialing Little Quickfire right now so we'll see how that one compares.

Good to see these consistencies with others. My first trial plant has been in the ground for 3 years and is just shy of 3' and just exploding with blooms as shown above.

I have a two other groupings in the ground for 2 years and they have the same flower power.

Bombshell on the other hand is the biggest POS ever of any plant and believe everyone involved in its introduction should be banned for life. I have a 4 year old massing that splayed out BEFORE if flowered! Plus is took 4 years for it to have a poor flower showing. BOOOO!!

Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE

Here is one of these same "Bobos" now into the Autumn.

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    9 years ago

I bought and planted one today. Hope it won't disappoint.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I also picked up a nice looking BoBo today. The others I had seen earlier at various places did not look as nice.

Thanks for the fall photo rouge. The blooms on mine are only partially open.
    Looking forward to seeing it in full bloom and changing to fall colors.

Original Author
    9 years ago

GreenHavenGarden any chance you could post an updated picture of your mass planting of BOBOs now it is the Fall?

• Tina Buell (Z9b)
    8 years ago

Does anyone know if BoBo's can full day sun in zone 9? I live in Sacramento.

Original Author
    8 years ago

With my experience this past hot, dry summer (zone 5) I would be surprised if BoBo could be successful in a full sun zone 9 without lots of supplemental water.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

You could also ask on the Hydrangea forum. Luis, who often posts there, lives in z 8a TX, so is somewhat close to your zone, and grows several different paniculatas, though I don't know if he grows Bobo.