Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Lantana

Posted by vajeff 7b VA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 14:13

How do you prune lantana to keep it compact and flowering?

My 'Miss Huff' grows to mammoth size. This year I've decided to keep it compact - about 4'x4' at most, yet it doesn't enjoy flowering until it reaches 5'x4'. I pruned it early last month, reducing it by a third to a half, and it refused to put off more than 4 flower clusters. It's now double what it had been pruned to and should be flowering soon... but it's too large now and needs trimming again before it goes berserk! I'm having the same problem with a purple spreading lantana.

The banks here have tiny lantanas that are full of blooms. How do they manage to keep them so tiny and still flowering?

Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Lantana

if your plant doesnt bloom well until it is 5 inches long..

and you keep pruning it to 4 inches.

i dont understand how you can be confused ... as to why it isnt blooming to expectation ...

let it do its thing ... you can not force a preconceived notion onto the genetics of a plant ...

and in the mean time.. find a dwarf variety that blooms profusely in a smaller size .. and target those for next year ... [if there are any???]

now.. if you were to figure out how to bonsai it.. then it might all work out.. lol ...

ken

o

Well, it used to bloom great before it established itself. The first two years it would grow to 4 feet. Now it grows to 6 or 7 if allowed. With the mild winter, I wouldn't be surprised if it reaches 8 or 9 feet before summer is over. That's far too massive for its location, and I dare not move it.

I've seen several pictures of smaller 'Miss Huff' that are full of blooms, so I'm wondering if adding more fertilizer might prompt it to bloom shortly after being pruned to the preferred size... or if cutting above or below a node will promote flowering.

Bonsai? I wish! Lantana can be trained into bonsai, but I think that's better left to someone with more patience, nerve, and luck than me!

o

You could cut your plant pretty much to the ground as it becomes too tall. Is this plant in the full sun? Have you been over fertilizing? Lantana does best if kept on the lean side.

o

It receives 6 or 7 hours of sun. The only fertilizer I've used on it is a quick spray to wet the foliage when I'm using MG. Before I read that it prefers to be on the dry side, I watered it often. Could it be too much nitrogen from the MG?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here