Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

What plant have you suddenly gotten tired of?

aachenelf z5 Mpls
13 years ago

I can't believe I'm saying this, but my obsession with lilies - in particular Asiatic Lilies - has ended (I think). For a good 15 years, I couldn't resist adding a few more "must haves" to my garden every year. At my peak, I probably grew over 50 varieties. Then a couple of years ago, they didn't excite me like they once did and I really started to dread the annual dig and divide the overgrown clumps each fall. Granted I didn't have to dig and divide them all each fall, but there were enough to do each year that it just started to get tedious.

After digging a few more clumps out this week and tossing them in the compost, I'm down to 21 varieties of Asiatics. More might go this fall, but I'm already feeling better.

Kevin

Comments (51)

• dicot
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Night blooming jessamine (Cestrum nocturnum). Re-seeds too freely, too many bugs, too inclined to look ratty in my LA drought conditions. I do love the scent though.

• echinaceamaniac
    13 years ago

I've grown tired of new Echinaceas. I still love the old ones, but the new ones have just taken away my enjoyment of these plants. I think it's time to start growing only seed varieties. They are so much more rewarding. What good is a new color if it totally ruins the performance of the plant in your garden?

• pippi21
    13 years ago

I have a dianthus"Firewitch" that must be planted in wrong place because it hasn't done anything as far as growth, so I plan to move it to another location in the Fall. Are dianthus the same thing as "Pinks?" Stello d'ora. I love the Stello e'ora but I think it looks best in a mass planting by itself, with lots of other Stellas. I don't have the space for it. Batchelor Buttons!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

prairiemoon - The work of digging is definitely part of the problem, but it's more than that - the flowers just don't excite me like they once did.

echinacea - I can relate. Although the Asiatic Lilies are going out of favor with me, I still love the species lilies. Sometimes simpler is just better.

pippi - Yep, dianthus - pinks - same thing. Stella was composted years and years ago. I really despise that daylily. Way, way too overdone.

Kevin

• MollyDog
    13 years ago

Roses...all 20-something...taking them all out...some going to relatives, some donated to the local park. I just got tired of ALL the attention they need to look good.

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

Daily 'Stella d'oro' just went into my compost bin a few weeks ago. The next day, my neighbor down the block planted a bunch of it in his garden! He had just purchased them! I asked him if he want anymore. They are growing happily in his garden now. :-)

Phlox paniculata seedlings. I am yanking them out everyday.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

I can relate to all of the above! I usually offer excess to a friend of mine who moved into a new place with not much there. Whatever I am tired of, she is happy to get. But it backfired.... Now when I go over to visit, I recognize my old stuff and find it hard to appreciate her achievements. Stella Dora, BES and plain green hosta, come to mind.

Now I make sure that I only give her excess stuff that I would like to see again.

I have a clematis collection that I have not added to in some time. Can't say I'm tired of clematis in general, but I am tired of the ones that don't perform. "Wait til next year" is getting old. Some of them just might be in the wrong spot, but I have so many I don't feel like moving them around and trying things out. Sometimes I think I have too many to give proper attention to. But yet, some are definitely stronger growers than others and take my breath away. And then, I can't imagine being without them. I guess I'm a bit conflicted on this...

I guess I'm tired of anything that's too much effort for too little return. Or even any effort... I have so much to care for, I need effortless results. Ha!

• garry_z7a_md
    13 years ago

I've gotten tired of trying to keep my perennial Euphorbias alive. I think the humidity on the east coast is just too much for them. I have many different varieties and they all seem to have a tendency to develop fungal diseases and melt away in the heat and humidity. E. purpurea self seeds which will help ensure its survival....but I'm done replacing the rest.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Salvias. Maybe it's all the rain this year but all of a sudden, the greggis are not great- I loved them the past few years- and the black and blue is too much foliage for me.
    Many of the May Nights disappeared and the only one I like this year is Mystic Spires.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    13 years ago

Quote: "I guess I'm tired of anything that's too much effort for too little return..."

Yep, that pretty much sums it up for me, too :0)

I went through a rose jag when I was at my other house, over 10 years ago. It was just TOO MUCH WORK and they often still ended up with the dreaded diseases or dieback or whatever. I finally had enough, got rid of *all* of them, and put in rugosa roses - hardy as a bone, no disease issues, and foliage always top-notch, best of all don't need any input from me to do their thing well. Never for a second felt bad about ditching all those high-maintenance plants. I was jonesing a "Mary Rose" English rose for a couple years so this year put in ONE by my window, I can deal with upkeep of one rose, and I do love that one. Other than that, forget about that rose nonsense.

But, yea - anything that requires too much fiddling on my part generally is a no-go for me (a little fiddling is fine :0p )

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did some more culling today - not only lilies, but few other things that just don't excite me anymore.

This is actually a really good time of the year to yank those things that don't justify the space they occupy. In the spring when everything is just poking through the ground there's always that bit of hope everything will be magnificent when it blooms. Now that you can see everything is NOT magnificent, why wait? Dig it out before you change your mind. I can put up with a few holes until next year.

Back in May, I made note of a few peonies that have to go. I am by no means tired of peonies. In fact I think they're just about the most incredible perennial out there, but a couple of mine just don't do it for me anymore. I'll wait until the fall to yank them though because I know I can sell the plants on Craig's List. Might as well bring in a bit of cash.

Kevin

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    13 years ago

I can't say I've ever gotten tired of a plant, but if something dies out for any reason, I'll replace it with something new to keep things fresh for me.

Then again, I tend not to grow too many of any one type of plant. My space is too limited and there are too many plants I love.

• sc_gardener
    13 years ago

Roses - the rugosas have blackspot worse than any of my others - Hansa has completely defoliated! The others (floribundas and hybrid teas) are all fairly healthy, I am just tired of sparse rebloom even when I fertilize and spray and those d*rn japanese beetles eating everything in sight from July until October.
    I am too cheap to throw them out, I need to find someone to take them off my hands. There are a few I would keep though...

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

The majority of my early gardening years were focused on anything that thrived on neglect. If all I had to do was walk past it and nod, it was the plant for my garden. I continue to be amazed at how many perennials stuck with me for nearly 20 years such that when I moved here 5 years ago, I dug them up and brought them with me--cushion spurge, coral bells, & balloon flower to name a few.
    Roses weren't in the truck. Roses have never been within screaming distance of my garden. If I didn't love & respect books so much I'd have sliced the rose chapter out of my huge hardcover perennial gardening book & used it to get a fire started in the woodstove some chilly evening.
    Winter sowing + seed trading allowed me to experiment with some new varieties without blowing my budget into outer space but it remains to be seen whether these new additions adapt to their spartan conditions or succumb to the rigors of marginally poor, dry soil + GN (gardener neglect). So far a few things show determination--penstemon, verbascum, rudbeckia, lupine, dianthus, ladybells, turtlehead, rose campion, buddleia, stokesia & feverfew. Echinacea 'White Swan' is absolutely stunning and I'm looking forward to adding lots more of it thanks to winter sowing. If I have a large enough patch of it, the bunnies will have their tummies full and I'll still have flowers.
    Don't boo me out of the theatre but I love my designer hostas. They're gorgeous year after year and ask for nothing in return. Same with the hydrangeas I got from a neighbor--they just grow, and bloom and all I do is set a gallon jug filled with water near the base when it's dry. With a pinhole in the bottom of the jug, they get watered at the base of the plant while I'm at work.
    I tried to throw away gay feather/liatris spicata last year but it grew where I threw it so I'm keeping it. Bees & butterflies love it...why shouldn't I?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    13 years ago

Re: rugosas. The more non-rugose the rugosa is (many are crossed with non-rugosa roses), the more prone to disease it is. One quick way to judge the rugosity (yes, I think I made that word up LOL) of a hybrid is to look at the leaves - the thicker, more crinkly, typically rugose leaves are the characteristic to look for. Some hybrid rugosas as rugosas are blackspot magnets... (forget the name of that climbing red one but even the local rose seller advised against it due to the problems with blackspot)

I have *never* had blackspot on my rugosas - seriously, NEVER, even when it was present on other roses in my yard.

• jan44
    13 years ago

Iris...ugh. I have dwarf bearded varieties...they multiply too fast, flower sparsely because their tubers get buried and look ugly after blooming. Bye bye.

Stella D'Oro daylilies. They are the next to go. The color gets old.

• jjt1704
    13 years ago

Achillea - can't say that I am truly tired of them, but after repeated tries where they have just not taken off, I have to say I am giving up in favor of other selections.

• terrene
    13 years ago

I dug up the Asiatic lily patch last fall, and any that were leftover this spring, because of the lily leaf beetle. This disgusting beetle eats the lilies to ragged sticks, makes a poopy mess, and requires either diligent hand-picking or pesticides for the lilies to look decent. Not willing to do either.

I've done the same thing with the Peonies, kept only my favs and gave away or sold the rest. Double Peonies are borderline too high-maintenance, with their floppy habit and short bloom period (which gets ruined if it rains), but the foliage does look nice most of the time and the bouquets are nice.

Never even bothered with roses, I refuse to grow perennials that require chemical life support to look decent. A little maintenance is okay, but too much and forget it.

• calliope
    13 years ago

Rudbeckia Goldsturm. That stuff should be on an invasive plant list. It's even choking out a little patch of aegopodium. Halfway through their bloom season they look like somebody took a shotgun to them for all the holes in the foliage.

• coolplantsguy
    13 years ago

Great thread.

I ripped out a few non-descript and/or infected Echinacea last week.

Same with Physostegia virginiana 'Variegata', although I think it was simply a poor selection, as I've seen better plants.

I meant to rip out Heuchera 'Citronelle' and 'Palace Purple' but re-considered.

The funny thing is, as I'm sure most of you can relate, I keep bringing more plants home! ;)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I have a giant area of goldstrum I am finally going to take out. Huge amounts of foliage and finally, some spindly flowers.
    And it keeps spreading and spreading.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I had Goldstrum in my one and only full sun bed along with lots of other full sun plants I enjoy. Coneflower, coreopsis, perovskia etc. That Goldstrum just ran over everything else in the bed. If I hadn't removed it, I'd have nothing left but Goldstrum. I did retain Rudbeckia 'Indian Summer' for a few years after that though because it doesn't spread and gently reseeds. But now I'm tired of that one as well. [g]

Also tired of Palace Purple Heuchera. Pulled both of mine this spring.

Terrene, I am not a fan of Peonies either. I bought two and had one from a trade and they have been a big disappointment to me. The two I bought developed some sort of foliage disease and died the second year I had them. I didn't replace them because the flowers lasted a week, not even two weeks, one week. PLus the plant needed a hoop to keep the flowers up. If I had a really large garden, I'd be happy to have a whole row of them somewhere so I could cut them all for bouquets, but in a small garden, everything has to contribute a lot more than that.

• north53 Z2b MB
    13 years ago

Well I didn't 'suddenly get tired of peonies', I actually struggled with the decision. They are such a beloved plant by so many gardeners. But though the foliage is attractive, I felt I was spending an inordinate amount of time trying to get them staked so they still looked natural in my cottage style garden. This always seemed to happen during a heat spell and I'd be out there wrestling with whatever new idea I was trying. Then they'd bloom for a few spectacular days then drop their petals all over the place like sodden kleenex. So now they're gone. This opened up a lot of space to attempt to have several plants with a longer period of bloom. Though I initially felt bad about turfing out a healthy thriving plant, I'm not missing them. I didn't just throw them out though. I dug them up and got many divisions in the fall which I sold at my little plant sale in the spring. Every single one was snatched up.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Peonies. I've only kept the selfsupporting ones. Dwarf bearded iris will go out as soon as I find the time to dig them up. Too few flowers. Delphiniums - only kept the selfsupporting ones. The same with achilleas. When achilleas began to be an IN-thing , I bought them all. All except Martina died, but some made seedlings that are good(good= selfsupporting, clumpforming and alive). Leucanthemum Becky - a Godzilla devouring everything. All non-selfsupporting campanulas(lactiflora, latiloba, persicifolia). Monardas - only kept Garden View Scarlet and Balance.Do you remember all the Monardas from Zodiac Series touted as mildew free? Well, they were not, except the Balance(=Libra), which stays healthy until very late summer with me. Big Sky Echinaceas- rubbish, all of them.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

Can you be tired of a flower the first year you've grown it? I am. I WS perennial alyssum 'Basket of Gold' and this was the first flowering year. Didn't like it in my garden as soon as it bloomed. I have so much yellow in the garden, and that bold yellow on the silver foliage was just not working here. Already gave some away at the early plant swap during its first flowering, and she said she loved it, so I'll dig out the rest for the next plant swap.

I'd better watch out or I'm going to be tired of Rud hirtas. I got a terribly late start on the garden this year, doing 1/10th that I wanted, so I just let all the rud seedlings grow where they were. Now I'm awash in waves of yellow with some chocolate mixed in. It's OK this year, but if it keeps up like that I'm going to lose my rud-luv.

This neglected garden was overrun with ditch lilies, purple Siberian irises, and yellow daylilies when I first got it. Never like ditch lilies, probably never will, they are gone. Finally last week got a contractor doing excavation work--no joke--to rip out the last 6' diameter stand of purple irises with his huge machine. After much sweat, tears, and machinery, I think I'll start to like them again...as long as I'm willing to keep them divided so I don't end up with anymore monster patches. As it is the patches that have already been divided are still covered up in the weeds that came with them. Good grief!

BTW, the contractor took some purple irises home to the wife. What a helpful guy--he doesn't just dig, he removes them, too! Now to find a victim for the rest of the patch...

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, peonies are still one of my top favs, but I have become more selective in which ones I keep. You can only have so many pale pink before they get tiresome and the purplish red ones do not work for me at all. They have been sold on Craig's List.

Some years ago I fell in love with Lychnis coronaria. My motto became "If a few plants are wonderful, dozens upon dozens would be breathtaking". It didn't work out that way. Last year when they all bloomed, I was kind of nauseated. This year I kept about 6 of them.

Kevin

• summerstar
    12 years ago

I've decided that there's little reward with Yarrow. They look great in the spring and early summer when they're in bloom, but when they're finished flowering, many of the leaves start to dry up and look plan ugly.. The same with the flower heads even though nursery catalogs suggest "the dried flowers have interest if not deadheaded". I never agreed with that. I'm going to save two and get rid of the rest.

I'm with everyone else here. I've been getting rid of plants that can't handle periods of drought, need too much care., are invasive, or look ragged come late July-August.

I've also come to the conclusion that planting a whole bed of one kind of perennial is a big mistake cause when they finish blooming and look tired, there's no other plants to hide them. Live 'n learn I guess.

• leslie197
    12 years ago

Deanna,

I was surprised by what you said about Basket of Gold - not about the bright yellow color or the contrast of the yellow with the silvery foliage (I agree completely) - but that you had so much other yellow in the garden. Did you mean when the the Basket of Gold bloomed? I wouldn't mind some more early flowering plants (any color) in my zone 5 (cold, wettish, clay) garden. Any suggestions? I also wondered if maybe your plants bloomed later in the season than mine do.

My Basket of Gold, Aurinia saxatilis 'Goldkugel' (Gold Ball), blooms in late April/early May after most of my minor bulbs and before most of my large daffodils & tulips are fully in bloom. They are one of my earliest perennial flowering plants and look so nice and cheery after a color-starved winter. I have clumps of them growing in some of the corners of my raised wood vegetable boxes, which are virtually empty at the time the B of G bloom. Elsewhere in the yard at that time, it is mostly small leafy green patches of emerging perennials, with scattered patches of color from various bulbs. I would think that would be true in NH too, but maybe my low-lying wettish garden and heavy clay make my garden emerge slower than yours. By the way, I cannot grow Aurinia directly in most areas of my garden, only in the raised bed corners hanging down the little wall, because of drainage issues.

• leslie197
    12 years ago

Sorry folks, for the Off Topic - I tried to post my question to Deanna separately, but it didn't work . Here is my posting to this thread.

I am tired of some of my older variety Dormant daylilies. I still like their plain flowers, just not their shabby leaves immediately after blooming. They can make the garden look tired, even when their is plenty of nice weather and blooming time still left to the season. And I am REALLY tired of pulling out or cutting off all their yellowing fronds and dead stick bloom stalks.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

What does 'wettish' mean? Do the plants drown in the winter? If not, then Doronicum caucasicum can grow on clay and it is early.

• leslie197
    12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion Wieslaw. I think I'll give Doronicum a try, looks like it might work well.

I'm not sure if drowning is exactly the term for what happens in my garden, but plants do have problems overwintering in my yard due to both winter wet and spring freezes and thaws. I am in a cold zone, but seldom have good continuous snow cover. At one time the right bottom side of the yard (we're on a small hill & the yard slopes downward) lay in water for 6 weeks every spring.

Wettish means that I seldom have to water plants, not even when first planted (one good watering, then WAIT and see) and droughts occur once in awhile (sometimes forcing a couple of waterings over the summer) but are not that much of a problem.

Wettish in my case also means more than just ordinary clay soil. I garden on machine-compacted sub-soil (ie, soil dug up from basements and smacked flat by earth moving equipment) that fails all garden drainage tests. Please click on my name for more info and pics.

Of course, we have improved the soil over the 15 years we have lived here, but the base is still hard-packed sub-soil. AND ours is the lowest property in the subdivision, with the neighborhood drains on both the left and right side of our property - AND we cannot do ANYTHING which interferes with these drains such as raising the soil level. (Raised beds MUST be located up the hill).

As you can see by the pictures you can garden here quite effectively, but I mostly use water-loving shrubs, grasses, and trees, with water-tolerant perennials tucked in the bays between them where it is somewhat drier. Areas near the top of the hill right next to the house and the patio will tolerate a fairly wide variety of perennials BUT space if limited AND...

From a practical point of view (after losing many many plants over the years) wettish means to me that I try not to plant too many plants with "Drought tolerant" on the tag and I do not push the zone much either.

Unfortunately, the pictures don't show how sloped the property really is - you can kneel down working in the garden, reach over for something, and fall over backwards. LOL. If it weren't for the this slope, however, the drainage would be so poor that only plants with "swamp" in the title could grow here.

• terrestrial_man
    12 years ago

ALL OF THEM! Sometimes I wonder why am I spending time and money when I can be using it for something else. Yet they are still fascinating and seeing them grow well so that I can work up a web journal to provide solid info on their culture keeps my interest alive.

• Ruth_MI
    12 years ago

Anything that "reverts." Have about nine sedum 'Black Jack' which I've always loved for form and color. But most of the plants, since I tired of pruning off green shoots, are now basically 'Matronna' (of which it's a sport, I believe). Still a great plant, but not for where I wanted/needed the purple color of 'Black Jack.'

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

I'm tired of Salvias that aren't blooming. May Night may have to go.

• brightonborn
    12 years ago

Top of the list Stella D'oro...OMg that color is so annoying after a few years.
    Happy Returns Daylilly...they don't return often enough to keep them around either.

Jan

• paulan70
    12 years ago

When I first moved to my current home I spent the far getting first growing year getting rid of the hostas. They were the only thing growing here. So I posted a freecycle message to come dig your heart out. So then I started planting "my" flowers. So now over the past ten years I have gotten rid of

hostas
    decorated grass
    lilies
    extra wintersown plants
    rose that went wild ie the top part died and it reverted back to the rootstock plant.
    liatris

I am about to get rid of my ditch liles, verbascum, helenium they are just not "speaking" to me in the same way as my other flowers do. And I have another wild rose to get rid of.

Paula

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

leslie197, going back to my garden journal to see when they bloomed. This year my first entry was June 1 and they had already bloomed. I didn't note if they were still blooming or had finished. I'm trying to note when things start and finish, but I think my lack of enthusiasm made me skip the details with them. But, we had a swap on June 5, and I do remember digging up one that still had a bloom, so I guess they had finished their blooming by early June. I do know some people said we had a late spring here. I haven't lived here long enough to know. Last year was a VERY early spring, earliest since 1977, according to the Univ of NH ag people.

Your description of them makes them sound fantastic, and I do love the bright yellow dandelions that grow in the new grass fields. Really a beautiful color contrast after snowy winters. Why didn't I like them? I think one problem was that my garden when i first inherited it three years ago was highly neglected and COVERED up in yellow early daylilies (probably Lemon Flava) and purple Siberian irises gone wild, and ditch lilies gone wild, with the weeds being healthier than many plants. I am just tired of yellow and purple!

According to my journal I also had blooming before June 1 lungwort, forsythia (which I do love), creeping phlox, English daisies (early and great!), Iberis perennial candytuft, and phlox divaricata woodland phlox. I think the woodland phlox came later than the BOG. The main problem with the BOG was that I have planted in spring to avoid yellow. All the above plants are in the pink/purple or white family and the BOG just clashed terribly.

But, now that you have pointed out their good points, and considering that I do love the forsythia, maybe I should just move them. I've got two forsythias from a swap that I need to plant along the driveway, and maybe i should use the Basket of Gold with them. I also have a raised bed at the end of our long driveway made from the big fieldstones that litter NH ground. Problems are it being 300 feet from the house, so impossible to water, and the snowplow guys for two years plowed snow right into it and knocked the fieldstones out. It has to be restacked and then I've got to figure out what to put in it that can live without watering. It is in the shade a bit, so that will help with drying out. I'm hoping to plant it in the spring when rain is plentiful so that it can establish. The BOG might be a great thing to put in there since you say it needs drainage.

Thanks for the post! I'm going to move my BOG! If I still don't like it, there's always the swap.

And, my best suggestion for early spring color is English daisies. Those things are DARLING, and create a very short groundcover in white and shades of pink. They also bloom a LONG time. Some of mine are STILL blooming. They reseed as well, so I actually think I have some blooming now that are reseeded from last year. They will bloom the first year planted, but they will bloom in August instead of early spring. I will be happy if they kind of pop up here and there around the garden. Everygreen foliage, I think, so they look nice all year (if I'm right on the evergreen--ours get covered by snow). If they reseed too much them pulling them is easy, probably much easier than deadheading.

I also like my lungwort. Beautiful multi-colored blooms and I prefer the foliage over hostas.

• rusty_blackhaw
    12 years ago

I'm about to shovel-prune a large white heirloom rose I've had for close to ten years.

On the plus side it's rock-hardy, vigorous, disease-free and showy in flower. The downside is that the bloom period lasts maybe a week and a half, with part of that period showcasing browning flowers. Then it's just greenery for the rest of the season and I have to keep pruning it back to avoid losing my garden path.

The space will be utilized for something that has longer seasonal appeal.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    12 years ago

Since I moved there are some plants that never made it to the new garden.
    daylilies- beautiful but I can't stand the dying foliage after bloom... currently have none.
    asiatic lilies- pretty but got tired of them too...
    heucheras- enough with the foliage, I want some with decent blooms again!... I seem to remember calling them coralbells and I miss the coral and the bells
    siberian iris- they lasted less than a week this year... definately tired of them but can't let go yet.

....I never liked goldsturm much, too brassy a color, but it's been seeding into my yard from all the neighbors plantings and I think I might try putting it with some golden leaved plants like tiger eyes sumac and ogon metasquoia. Too much of too much? Maybe, but I guess I'll know for sure next year.

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

Don't know which doronicum you are considering, but it is, in my opinion, a plant to enjoy from a distance. It has coarse, hairy leaves and a ungraceful habit. Self sows like crazy which is fine on a good size piece of land, but not in a tightly cultivated perennial garden.

It's best characteristics are that it is bright, cheerful and will grow in part shade with very very little moisture. But it is no "fine gardening" specimen plant.

Don't know about the cultivars. the ones I have satisfied my curiosity. Anyone who wants to drive to Lexington Ma, can have dozens from me.

Idabean/Marie

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

I think you have confused Doronicum with something else. Coarse leaves and ungraceful habit do not sound like a description of a Doronicum. Au contraire,one of the most graceful plants ever! Doronicum caucasicum has smooth and shiny leaves, it is clump forming , selfsupporting when enough light and not fussy about the soil. I agree it can be a little 'anonymous' after flowering , but many plants are.It is easy to cut the spent flowers off, so no self-seeding at all, unless you're extremely lazy.
    I recommend to enjoy it at a close distance,a very beautiful and joyful plant when there is not much to choose from at that time.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    12 years ago

idabean- I wonder if you are thinking of coltsfoot. It's also early, cheerful and yellow, but more of a weedy plant.

I keep waiting for a friend's doronicum to self seed. it never does (and trust me when I say he's been an extremely lazy gardener lately).

• perennialfan273
    12 years ago

Asiatic lilies DO NOT interest me at all. Now, the oriental lilies are a different story. A lot of the older varieties seem to be the most reliable, and the most rewarding. If you want a REALLY nice smelling oriental lily, you should plant Casablanca. The scent is AMAZING!

• brody
    12 years ago

Knautia macedonica. It seeds everywhere and the dark flowers don't show up at all unless you're standing right next to them. Also Coreopsis 'Zagreb'. The foliage is excellent but the flowers, when their first freshness fades, become oppressive-- a heavy, dead shade of yellow. I want to keep them both, just have less of them.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Not suddenly but gradually I've decided I don't like Agastache 'Golden Jubilee' even though the bees love it. It has just grown so huge, disproportionate to the size I expected it would get. Early in the season it's fine but by late July-August it has over-sized itself and is sprawling. I don't like sprawling and didn't plan for sprawling so it's gotta go. I don't like its habit so there's really nowhere else for it to go but to the dump. I have it in three sunny spots and I'm taking them all back until I find a replacement for the agastache. I do like its cousin A. rupestris/sunset hyssop which has delicate foliage & flowers and (so far) is well-behaved.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Back to kato b's comment about heuchera:

Yes, where did the flowers go? I can remember lovely, pink bells on plants years ago, but now - blah!!- I cut those sorry excuses for flowers off the minute I see them. Bring back the heuchera flowers!

Kevin

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

Certainly I could be wrong, but I'm talking about Doronicum, the earliest blooming yellow daisy aka leopard's bane. I don't know which one, but I'm about to figure that out.
    mt

• conniemcghee
    12 years ago

I love this thread. :)

Well, it's August, so right now I pretty much hate everything in the garden. It all looks ratty this time of year. One exception: the "fall garden" is in full glory right now! If you don't have a dedicated fall garden, it is something I highly recommend! When everything else is spent and starting to get crispy, fall bloomers are just getting started. Mine has Early Amethyst Beautyberry, Limelight Hydrangea, a few tall purple Zinnias, Mexican Bush Sage, Autumn Joy and Matrona Sedum, Homestead Purple Verbena, Karley Rose Pennisetum, Fothergilla Major Mt. Airy...and this year I tried some Blackie Sweet Potato vine around the edges. It is SO NICE to have something to look at right now that doesn't look like death eating a cracker!

Anyway, to the original question: I have decided I have way too many daylilies (only 25 or so, but still too many for me). I am so sick of pulling out dead foilage, and it started this year before they had even bloomed. I'm going to reduce them by about half in the fall, keeping only my very favorites. I've also discovered they are a bad thing to have at the front of a border for the dead foilage reason, so several will have to be moved.

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

Someone is tired of Agastache "Golden Jubilee." I can't believe it. After it started looking bad in July, I pruned it back and now it's so full and covered with blooms. The golden foliage is beautiful with the lavender tinted flowers. If you don't like it, prune it drastically and it will surprise you with a new bloom cycle. I personally am loving the plant this year. I didn't prune it last year. What a difference it makes.

Personally, I'm tired of Daylilies. They are so common. Everyone has them. I don't want any. The blooms don't last long and the foliage is ugly. They aren't as nice or long lasting as the Golden Jubilee plant, that's for sure.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    12 years ago

You got that right, Connie! Although I must say this year things aren't bad because we've actually had a decent amount of rain since mid-July or so. Usually this time of year it's a crispy mess out there, though.

You're fall bloomers are going already? My "Pamina" Japanese anemones are budding already, they always bloom earlier than my "Honorine Jobert" anemones, but not opening quite yet. I expect the fall show to get going in 3-4 more weeks. Agree re: fotergilla - what a gorgeous fall color show from those. Oakleaf hydrangeas, too :0)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES