Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for 18 inch plants

Posted by cookie8 zone 5 ON (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 24, 09 at 14:48

I have two large sections which I want to plant 18" plants en masse. In my garden I have white (Iceberg roses and daisies), yellow/gold (heliopsis, black eyed susan), pink (coneflower), purple (agastache), plum (black lace elderberry), red (yarrow and beebalm) with zinnias (red)and orange (gallardia). Any ideas for a perennials to place up front? Right now I have Agastache which is supposed to be compact but is almost 4' right now blocking everything else. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for 18 inch plants

A few suggestions: platycodon(balloon flowers),the shorter variety,,,,,,geranium cinereum;ballerina......coreopsis....sweet williams,dianthus....blue asters.......lavender.....sedums........geums.....yarrow.....silver mound for leaf texture.....liriope,landscape greenery but they do flower........

carol

o

I never knew they had a short variety of agastache.
Here are some pics of sun worshipping front row plants that stay under 18".

Coreopsis 'zagreb'
coreopsis \'zagreb\' 26jul06

Scabious 'blue butterfly'
scabious \'blue butterfly\' 16jul06

phuopsis stylosa
phuopsis stylosa 12jun06

penstemon fruticosa
penstemon fruticosa \'purple haze\' 2jun06

nepeta
nepeta mussini 2jun06

Also try 'red fox' veronica, 'first blush' euphorbia, ajuga, dianthus, geraniums, creeping phlox......the list is long for possiblities.
flora

o

Dianthus 'Bath's Pink', 'Firewitch', or the new one 'Wicked Witch'. Campanula carpatica, camp. 'Blue Waterfall'. Brunnera macrophylla 'Jack Frost'. Phlox subulata. Anemone pulsatilla. Dwarf everblooming daylilies like 'Going Bananas', 'Purple D'Oro', 'Stella Supreme','Rosy Returns', 'Red Hot Returns'. Pulmonaria. Dwarf asiatic lilies. Hardy chrysanthemums (pinched back to make compact.) Dwarf asters e.g. 'Snowflurry', 'Wood's Pink', 'Wood's Blue'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here