Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

It's a crisp and frosty day

aachenelf z5 Mpls
11 years ago

in my fantasy land madness at least.

All I have managed to do the last week or so is:

1. Water

2. Pick lettuce for dinner each evening (I'm really surprised at how well the Romaine is holding up in the heat)

3. Pick sweet peas (I have no idea why these aren't dust by now)

4. Feed the fish

5. Tried to pick green beans, but that's too miserable a task when you're soaked in sweat and chomped by the skeeters.

That's it. I have no interest in attempting anything else outside right now. I hate to admit it, but I'm fantasizing about that first hard freeze.

Kevin

Comments (14)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Ha! I opened your thread hoping to find a place where we could find respite from these temps. We are expected to hit 104-106 tomorrow. At least we are not alone. Next week, we are expected to be in the 80s-why, it will feel downright balmy! Good luck to us all.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Kevin, can I come visit you in your fantasy land? It sounds wonderful right about now!

I just got out of the shower - my second of the day! - after coming home from the farmers market. We used to set up our canopy under a tree, so we had double shade, but our tree got knocked down in the hurricane last year, so now just the canopy - which really doesn't help much. And I had to take a shower before I went otherwise I would not have gotten any customers, lol.

My plan for tomorrow is to get up early, water (for the umpteenth time) and then go sit in my basement all day! Hmm, maybe a little mint ice cream too....

Dee

• duluthinbloomz4
    11 years ago

Kevin - take a fun trek 150 miles up I-35 North to Duluth. We're a beautiful 66 degrees (no fantasy!). Rain off and on, more off than on. No mosquitoes yet.

My brother came up for the day from Woodbury and thought this was pretty darned wonderful.

• jodikay
    11 years ago

Kevin, I am assuming you are now feeling the cool front that just came through, the one Duluth had. Now we are in a severe storm warning until tomorrow morning. I finally had a chance to walk around and assess my 5 gardens without sweating and needing 2 showers, and now I just want to cry. Weeds everywhere! Its going to take the whole weekend to clear them out. I was carrying my camera thinking to take a few pics but every frame had weeds. I thought I would be able to do a little garden shopping this weekend. I guess not.

Jodi

• jodikay
    11 years ago

Kevin, I am assuming you are now feeling the cool front that just came through, the one Duluth had. Now we are in a severe storm warning until tomorrow morning. I finally had a chance to walk around and assess my 5 gardens without sweating and needing 2 showers, and now I just want to cry. Weeds everywhere! Its going to take the whole weekend to clear them out. I was carrying my camera thinking to take a few pics but every frame had weeds. I thought I would be able to do a little garden shopping this weekend. I guess not.

Jodi

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dee - A little ice cream? A little?? I've gone through two half gallons in the past 3 days and I was controlling myself. I didn't want to overdo it don't you know. Plus an entire watermelon - ALL BY MYSELF!

Yes the coolness has arrived. From 101 to 74 in just a few hours. I think we've driven the madness eastward. Sorry guys.

Kevin

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

I suppose it would be to much to ask for a little rain to go with the cooler temps????

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

By the way I was fantasizing about a 6 inch snowfall.

• mori1
    11 years ago

It was hundred and something today, same yesterday and the day before that and the day before that..... The same for tomorrow so could you PLEASE send the coolness our way.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    11 years ago

We have been in the very high 90s or above 100 for a week or more. One of my verbena is mostly toasted. Several petunias stopped flowering (even though I deadheaded weekly, despite the temps) and look pretty dry. I am possibly going to lose others, as well. Will they possibly bounce back when the temps drop next week?

• hunt4carl
    11 years ago

Thanks, Kev, for sending us the heat blast. . .now, if you'd hurry that
    cooling trend along, too, we'd be most grateful. . .but you can KEEP the
    skeeters out there - I recall from my college days that they were akin to
    flying barracudas !

As long as one keeps up with the watering, it's nothing short of amazing
    how well most of my gardens look. . .as do the weeds, which have
    burgeoned to epic proportions !

Carl

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hate to tell you this (but I will). When I went to bed last night I opened the window and put in a fan. I was soooooooo cold in the middle of the night, I almost had trouble sleeping. Oh the misery, oh the misery. 62 this morning.

The garden really came through the ordeal well. Nothing was lost and I think I'll credit that to the thick leaf mulch put down a few weeks ago and my watering. We didn't get any rain to speak of, so I'll probably have to water tomorrow. Those leaves really make a huge difference. Once again this fall, I'll collect them from the neighbors and store them in plastic bags until I need them next summer. Free stuff is just the best!

Kevin

Out of ice cream. Rats!!

• jodikay
    11 years ago

Its too funny, I thought the same thing last nite that it got down right chilly. Luckily we got about 1/2" rain last nite so it was pretty easy to pull weeds today. It actually felt like a perfect july day! and I was a happy gardener :-)

Jodi

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

The cool front is supposed to be on its way to me and it can't get here soon enough- I need rain like I have NEVER needed it before.
    I just hope it doesn't bring the heavy winds with it.
    I have four giant oaks down already that it has been too hot to deal with.