Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Which variety of Butterfly Bush?

I'm getting a butterfly bush from Bluestone Perennials and trying to decide which one to get. I like the looks of Miss Molly, Miss Ruby or Peach Cobbler. Has anyone had any experience growing these?

Comments (70)

• Sammywillt
    10 years ago

What a bunch of lucky ducks... I have tried for many many years to grow Buddleia , it just won't over winter for me :(

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

Don't get me started 'Sammy'. They grow and bloom wonderfully for me in the summer, in even only one season. But then I can never get them to return the next spring :(. I know all about good drainage and no pruning until it arises late in the spring but still no luck re. survival.

• jadeite
    10 years ago

I hit pay dirt this morning when I stopped by Lowes. They had Flutterby Petite in Snow White which is the color I wanted. It was on the 50% off table, so even if it turns out to be a dud, I haven't spent a lot. I think buddleias must do well here, judging from the number I see everywhere, in full glorious bloom from spring to fall. Most are the full sized varieties - 6' and higher. I hope my bush does as well.

Cheryl

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

prairiemoon, you were wondering how people incorpoarte butterfly bushes in their garden? Here's a wide shot of my garden from August, 2011. The buddleia is pretty much in the center back. Keep in mind that is a shorter cultivar than most.

{{gwi:251902}}

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Oh thanks all for posting pics.

Lovely planting a2z!

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

Thanks troves1

I'm going to be making some changes to it this fall, but I guess that's the way of all gardeners.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear that zone 4 doesnâÂÂt allow for butterfly bushes. I wonder if you ever tried to grow it in a pot and winter it over? Maybe not the same effect, butâ¦.

Cheryl, good luck with your new Flutterby.

a2zmom, Great border. I like the way you used the Buddleia to anchor that bed. I bet it gives you some privacy from the street. I change my front bed every year, pretty muchâ¦lol. But in my own defense, I think the bed kind of changes itself every year and I just respond. (g)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I am growing 'Petite Blue Heaven' for the first time this year. Since this is the first buddleia I've tried in many, many years I really have nothing to compare it to, but if it does survive the winter I'll try more in the future.

I like it although clearly I can't give my final judgement until another year has passed and I can see what potential it has. So far, because of its small size, it would be difficult to compare it to any of the standard, larger buddleias. In fact, because of the small size it really doesn't look like a shrub, but more like another perennial in my garden. It certainly lacks the arching grace of the larger ones. That may change with time. I'll see.

prairiemoon - Yes, I have tried these in pots overwintered inside. I have an old coal cellar in my basement which doesn't freeze, but stays very cold in the winter - perfect for overwintering plants that want a cold, winter rest.

I gave up after a couple of years. The plant was in a largish pot, but still I don't think it was large enough for the buddleia to really do well. It came back each spring, but didn't really do all that well. Maybe a much, much larger pot would have worked better, but that becomes difficult to deal with carrying it up and down the basement stairs in spring and fall. It was simply too much of an unpleasant chore for me to consider it worthwhile.

Maybe it would work better to grow it in the garden and then dig, wrap the rootball in plastic and store inside for winter. Some people do this with brugmansia. To me it sounds like a very unpleasant chore, but if you're a person who doesn't mind the work, who knows?

Kevin

I'll try to remember to post a photo later today assuming it warms up and I don't have to put on a snowsuit to go outside. Good grief! It's in the 40's this morning! Weird, weird summer!

This post was edited by aachenelf on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 7:26

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

I think the bed kind of changes itself every year and I just respond. (g)

prairiemoon, how true that is!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kevin, the more I think about overwintering a Buddleia, the more it seems like a waste. I am a little prejudice though, because I have stopped trying to overwinter anything, lol. I donâÂÂt have a perfect place to do it and the chore of bringing everything in each fall was too much and I got smart and said no more. I am very happy with that decision. And there would be no way I would dig up a shrub and pot it up every fall to bring it in. Plus, in the case of Buddleia, in my experience, it takes a few years in the ground before it really starts to come into itâÂÂs own.

After having said that, I realize I bought a standard Gardenia this spring to put in a pot for the summer which I will be attempting to winter over. lol

Good luck with your âÂÂPetite Blue HeavenâÂÂ. I love the name, I hope it lives up to it for you.

I have the a/c on this morning, Kevin. Definitely an odd summer here too, though.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

OK, I just went out to the garden to photograph my 'Petite Blue Heaven' and the current blooming is long past prime. It would not be a good example of what this one looks like in bloom. There are a lot of buds forming, so hopefully I'll remember to post when it looks better.

Kevin

• jadeite
    10 years ago

Kevin - how big and wide is your Petite Blue Heaven. I'm planting Flutterby Petite Snow White and the size listed is "2 - 3' wide and 2-3' high". That's quite a big range.

Thanks,
    Cheryl

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

Cheryl

Right now, it's about 18 inches tall and about 2 feet wide, but I just planted it in May and when I got it, it was in maybe a 4 inch pot. I must say, it's done a lot of growing in a short amount of time, but not enough to say what it might be like next year. It certainly is blooming much more than I thought it would for the first year. This next blooming which is just forming now looks like it will be heavy.

Kevin

10 years ago

Cheryl, hree are two pictures of my Petite Blue Heaven from last season. As I had wrote in another post it grew spectacularly in its first year. I got it as a mail order plant in May and I put it in the ground also in May. Even though it was small it began to bloom in late July and grew larger than I expected. Here are two pictures...one on July 26 2012 and the other in early October 2012 (as luck would have it it looked best in August for which I have no pictures).

{{gwi:251903}}

{{gwi:251906}}

From May 2012 until October 2012 it grew to 3 feet in width and probably a bit more in height.

• jadeite
    10 years ago

Rouge - thank you for the pictures. Do you take photos of everything in your garden? It's a good way to keep records.

I see what Kevin means by saying they don't have the grace of the big buddleias, but are very satisfying in their own way. I don't know how my climate will affect growth. We have a lot of sunshine, but very dry conditions. I planted mine in front of honeysuckle Goldflame, and behind Anouk lavender. Everything looks pitifully small with lots of bare ground right now.

Cheryl

10 years ago

Butterfly bushes do just fine with lots of sun and minimal water.

I without reservation recommend this particular compact variety.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

I've overwintered "Peacock" in a pot a couple years now - performs very well, but doesn't get very big, as obviously it's limited by pot size. One bonus, though, is that it blooms earlier than other BB's, since it breaks dormancy earlier in the spring. It's on my patio, where I can enjoy the scent as I walk by. I love, love, LOVE the scent of BB's!

Even if BB's don't overwinter in your zone, they're not expensive to replace when/if needed and easily available at garden centers, often nice large, robust plants loaded with blooms are less than the price of dinner for two :0)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

Cheryl said: "I see what Kevin means by saying they don't have the grace of the big buddleias, but are very satisfying in their own way."

I completely agree and am happy I have this one. In particular, I really like the foliage color. Better yet, when I was looking at my plant, there was a butterfly feeding on the flowers which is why I guess they're called "Butterfly Bush". I've seen so few butterflies this season it was really nice to see one here.

Kevin

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

My Velvet Buzz

• NatalieW
    10 years ago

Not sure if this is the right board to post my question, but I love my butterfly bush and you all seem to love yours. I'm working on redesigning or cleaning up my garden. I don't know what to put in it. I am not really good an design and learn as I go. I'll try and post pictures but will have to put in multiple posts. Keep in mind we had to have our retaining wall redone so we had to cut some plants down to make way for the wheelbarrow.

The garden is south facing in zone 5 NY. The BB and ornamental grass stays. Right now I have purple coneflower, black eyed Susan's, Shasta daisies, day lilies (have to go, I don't like them), had some bee balm that didn't do well, and some balloon flowers. Bare spot in this picture is where my daisies and some more black eyed Susan are.

The garden is seen from all sides. Please help.

• NatalieW
    10 years ago

Coneflowers in this picture seeded themselves there.

• NatalieW
    10 years ago

Bottom of stairs.

A2zmom I love your front garden. What do you have in it?

• NatalieW
    10 years ago

Sorry so many picture but I couldn't get it all in one or two photos.

This is the opposite side.

• NatalieW
    10 years ago

One last one.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Natalie, I think people have stopped posting to this thread, but they do love to help with this kind of question. I think if you post this again to a new thread asking for help in the subject line, you will get a lot. Pretty setting!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

double post

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 3:22

• NatalieW
    10 years ago

Thanks prairiemoon2. I post a new thread.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am just evaluating how the Buddleias did this year and what I'm going to do for next year.

After a hard winter, they were all slow to come back, and Black Knight was the slowest, although, it was the smallest and was planted in the fall.

Pink Delight, does have huge fat flowers and the shrub itself, without any pruning help at all, had a very symmetrical, densely branched form. Very noticeable from the others. But, I haven't seen as many butterflies land on it, but saw some hummingbird moths. Not as fragrant, but has some. And I really don't like the color.

I don't understand that because in the photo above, it looks like a solid clear pink, but in the garden this year, it has been sort of a lavender pink, which I'm not very fond of. Because of the other attributes, I plan to keep it at least for another year and will be moving it -- again. [g] I thought I might combine it with something with a different color that might liven up the color of the flowers.

Purple Knight, I can't say much about. It barely survived the winter, was not a vigorous grower, had about a handful of blooms all season. Giving that another year, without moving it.

The 'Adonis Blue' that doesn't look like the photos - was the only established Buddleia in the garden so it made it over the winter pretty well. Although it does look a little spindly and I've been faithfully deadheading, which has to be done daily because the flowers go so quickly on the bush. It has more fragrance than the others and I've seen many more butterflies on it. The first flush of blooms were a good size and almost resembled the photo, but after that they are pretty small. I forgot to take Woody's suggestions to cut it back to 3ft and then in half again to make it branch out more and plan on doing that next year.

I wondered, since it does bloom heavily, if anyone has tried to fertilize it like you would a rose? I always heard - not to fertilize - so just wondered.

How did your Buddleias do this year?

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

sometimes I get lost in these long threads. I WISH GW would give us the feature of 'reply' to an individual post.
    As to rec'd varieties, the one buddleia I covet and have loved and lost ......is Ellen's Blue. BLUE. not lavender/purple/lilac etc. Heronswood originally. I'm getting it for a third try- from Lazy S's soon. I grow DarkKnight because the dark purple black is the best color option for my gardens. But don't we all wish that breeders could get that Pink Delight 'big dense flower cones' DNA mixed into some better color options?! That was a terrifically helpful photo comparing the flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: ellen's blue on right of blue gate

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Here is my purple buzz. I have two of these and love the color. It was a sad end of the season sale purchase last year, that came back nicely. Next to it I planted moonbeam coreopsis which looks great together.

Here's when it first started blooming....

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

The color of my other one that I'm not sure of the name. Very fragrant!

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

And another...

This post was edited by lilsprout on Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 17:25

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

IâÂÂve heard EllenâÂÂs Blue is one of the best Buddleias. I havenâÂÂt seen it available anywhere local. Did you lose yours to winter, Arbo?

Lilsprout, that is a very eye-catching color. And nice long flowers too. Thanks for posting the picture. Nice shot of the Hummingbird Moth, too!

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Thanks pm.

I'm seeing a lot more butterfly moths this year. They are so busy, they could care less if your right up next to them snapping pics! Not the norm....

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

pm, yes, winter loss. twice. Perfect reason to put my $ on it a 3rd time, right? )

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Winchester is zone 5? That's surprising. I am zone 6 here and have no trouble with them wintering over and I'm not that far away from you. Often times, you can pick up a butterfly bush cheap. Not any worse than buying an expensive annual. I wonder if you could take cuttings in the fall and winter it over in the house? I definitely understand wanting to have it. :-)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

I have gotten so much joy out of "Black Knight" this year - the scent is fantastic, and the bees and butterflies are all over it. I have another dark purple right next to it but I cannot remember the name of it, it's not "Black Knight" because the undertone is different (reddish purple compared to bluish purple). That one is just as great, I just can't remember what it is.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would love a dark saturated violet flower with a long fat flower that lasted a couple of days on the bush and deteriorated all in one fell swoop instead of half dead, half vibrant. On a bushy 6ft tall shrub with a ton of fragrance. Not asking for much, right? [g]

Just the same, I think my butterfly bushes in the past have lived up to my hopes and are a real plus in the garden.

Mxk3 - Which bush has the reddish undertone and which the blue/purple?

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

pm, take cuttings? Great idea........hahahahaha! (You, talented green thumb you, you have no idea what a bad mother I would make.) Nice idea though.

I wanted to offer an idea about your really lovely little blue one (I'm going to try to find one of those; which mail order did you use?) I figure if you can get a teeny mail order woody to bloom like that in its first season, you must have amazing gardening dna and/or former riverbed location.
    Anyway, it almost looks like a little lilac- w/ larger, better blue, flowers. The idea: you might enjoy growing a small flowered clem up through it.
    mindy where are you in z.6?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Are you sure you are in zone 5? I just checked the 2012 Zone Map for Massachusetts and it looks like zone 5 is only in the Western part of the state. Unless I am looking at the wrong map. I am in Metro West and I thought I was in 6a, but looking closer at the map, I may be in 6b. Inside Rte95 is zone 6b and between Rte 95 and Rte 495 is supposed to be 6a. So unless you have a micro climate there, maybe you are a zone 6?

I didn't say, I could take cuttings. [g] I can take them, but keeping them alive over the winter? Nope. I'm ready for a rest from gardening when the gardening season is over.

You mean the photo of the light blue flowered Buddleia in the beginning of the thread? I ordered that from Bluestone in 2010 so, no, it was not a year old. It was supposed to be 'Blue Adonis' which is a really navy color, and looks nothing like the one I received. They replaced it for me the next year and it still didn't look navy. So I kept it and that is a photo of what it looked like in 2013. Would you believe that this year, it was much darker? It was not that pretty light lilac/blue color at all.

The 'Pink Delight' and 'Black Knight' I bought last fall and planted them in October and I was just happy they came back this spring. The Pink Delight had a ton of blooms on it all season, in it's first year, although it was about a 2ft tall shrub. It's always been my experience that Butterfly Bushes put on a lot of growth in one season and always bloom.

The PD and BK were on sale, end of season and I wasn't looking for them, I just ran across them locally and not sure where. Maybe Russell's?

I like the idea of growing a Clematis up through it. I may try that. Thanks. :-)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

Prairie: I believe it is the "Black Knight", but I'm not 100% sure. I am fairly sure, though, since I have seen BK at the nursery in bloom in the past and I recall it being a very dark bluish-purple. They're both fantastic, though -- from a distance or next to other colors you may not be able to see the difference in undertone, but it's obvious since the two dark purples are right next to one another. Eh, I doubt anyone else even notices, it's me who's the fussbudget :0p

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mxk3. I'm looking forward to next year with the Black Knight. I think it really struggled with last winter and will be a whole lot better next year.

You're not a fussbudget, you're probably a detail oriented person, which we really need in many situations, along with those who the details hardly register while they are negotiating the big picture. ;-)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

No, I'm definitely a fussbudget LOL! (at least when it comes down to color)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL - Well who can argue with the results. :-)

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

We took a van down to Broken Arrow in CT this week- to load our woodies order! The only variegated buddleia i had seen prior to this trip- was Harlequin, which i bought and lost, some 24 years ago. Well UConn's Dr. Mark Brand, older bro. of Br Arrow's Andy Brand (head of the nursery)
    has introduced a number of wonderful plants over the years, and , on this order, I bought 2 of his new variegated buddleia- Summer Skies. The variegation is KILLER!!! dark green and cream. z.5 hardy
    mindy

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer Skies variegated buddleia

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would like to hear how that does for you for next season. I tried the Harlequin and it was very low vigor and I shovel pruned it. I have become more and more skeptical of variegated plants. I can't think of one I've had that has been as vigorous as I would like.

• DeeS
    8 years ago

I put my first butterfly bush in last spring was doing great all summer but lost out from the winter....replanted 3 this spring....hoping they will return next spring? In Iowa not sure if they will live thru our winters? Zone 5

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    8 years ago

All you can do is wait and see...

Mulching heavily in late fall might help. Would start a new thread at that time of year asking for advice, this is a long thread and your question might not get answered.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I had to move two of my butterfly bushes this spring and after the long cold winter and 100+ inches of snow, I wasn't sure they would come back. They all did come back eventually, but they are a lot smaller than they were. So I am pinching the centers out to trigger more branching to get a good base on each shrub. I hope they will still be able to bloom this season. They are looking good at this point, just small. If they made it through last winter, I feel pretty confident about any winter we can throw at them.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    8 years ago

Lilsprout, thanks for the great photo of 'Buzz Purple', I received one this spring and just know I'm gonna love it!

Another I'm excited about is 'Crown Jewels', the foliage is nice enough on it's own, never mind when decked out in purple blooms! Can't wait for this new plant to kick into gear!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?