Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting back & propagating creeping phlox

Posted by tvrolyk z5 NorthIL (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 15:05

I have some patches of creeping phlox that are along a sidewalk and have taken over a good portion of the sidewalk. I would like to cut them back and also propagate some for other areas of the lawn.

I have tried dividing the clumps in the past but I always end up with a bunch of dead looking branches underneath and leading to the green stuff I actually want to move.

So first I was thinking I would trim them back - mostly along the sides and just a tad on the top. The tops look fine they have just spread too far. How aggressive can I get in cutting them back? If need be can they be cut back to the ground (or a couple inches of the ground)?

Then I just read you can propagate by stem cuttings so I was thinking I would take some cutting for some new beds I am building. When is the best time and what is the best technique for this?

Thanks for the help everyone. I read here a lot and only post occasionally but always get great responses!

Tony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting back & propagating creeping phlox

Correction: I would like to cut them back and also propagate some for other areas of the garden

o

I've never cut mine back (other than an occasional really, truly dead piece) and I've got a very dense, healthy crop cascading down the sides of the planting areas in the retaining wall built into the slope at the back of my patio. But I do know that a good shearing wouldn't hurt.

The easiest method of propagation is to dig up and replant a chunk - including the twiggy stuff underneath which is attached to the roots. And the best time to do this is in the spring. If you Google transplanting phlox subulata, the first article on plantfacts from Ohio State is a good one.

o

I've done them by stem cuttings and it's not that difficult under the right conditions. I use flats of sharp draining sand. I've never done it in summer, but don't see why you couldn't as long as they are growing actively.

o

I trim mine a lot. The branches seem to have nodes that want to root, so I just cut it off and shove the root-like nubbins into some potting soil, water it, and then forget about it (and water it when I remember them). I've had a lot of success doing this. My problem is that sometimes I forget to transplant them when they have matured (a few months) and loose some roots removing them from the pots (the roots grow out the bottom of the little pots into the ground they were sitting on). I have never tried to uproot or divide these plants - only propagate through cuttings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here