Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

A story.....Penguin in the pond

I brought it up, so now I have to tell. A little background first. Years ago, like 25 + years ago, my DH and I owned a small hatchery. We had big incubators, hatched mostly ducks and chicks, then shipped them via the post office all over the place. So it was not unusual for us to have lots of birds around. Even odd ones just for fun.

We live in the Red River Valley of the north which is known for spring flooding. In 1997 our house was surrounded by water, we had a sandbag dike 8 feet out from our house, all around, about 3 feet tall, with 2 feet of water on the other side, for 2 weeks.

In 2000 we built a levee all around our 5 acre homestead, they needed to get the dirt for the levee from some where, so we had them dig a pond. Inside the levee! LOL It's about the size of a football field, and most years anywhere from 3' to 6' deep. We usually have ducks and geese on it. One side of the levee is the gravel road that goes past our property. So from the road you see most of the pond. The picture below was taken with the road about 30 feet behind me.

{{gwi:252015}}

About 2003 I was driving along and spied an odd object in the ditch. I stopped and picked it up, it was a plastic penguin about 30" tall, and looked very realistic. I took it home and set it out by the pond. Then every day for 2 weeks I went out and moved it. Sometimes the far side, sometimes in the water, etc.

It didn't take long before the neighbors were stopping to see our penguin! I laughed because only 2 of all the people who stopped to look, actually came into the yard to ask about it!

Wish I had thought to take pictures!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company