Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happened to these Lamb's Ears?

Posted by KateinDC 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 15:19

After looking nice in the spring and early summer, my Lamb's Ears always end up like this by July:

photo IMG_6772_zpsc568c8a8.jpg

That is, part of the foliage matted on the ground and rotting. Is this just from the rainfall, or is it a disease? I'm ready to get rid of the plant if it always looks like this during the latter part of the season. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happened to these Lamb's Ears?

Is it very humid where you are? Stachys will "melt out" in humidity.

o

Thanks. Yes, the summers are horribly humid here... Oddly, I haven't seen this phenomenon with Lamb's Ears in other gardens around. Maybe there are more humidity-resistant cultivars? As it is, I think I will plant something else in that spot.

o

Just a suggestion: you might want to try Stachys byzantina/lamb's ear 'Helen Von Stein,' a non-flowering sterile variety that might perform better in your Z7a conditions. I find it to be zero-maintenance and zero-nuisance in my perennial beds. Might look a little crappy in January but seems to self-correct and look stunning the rest of the year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stachys byzantina 'Helen Von Stein'

o

Thank you for the suggestion, I will consider it. The page you linked mentions the leaf rot for the species, and I think my problem is that they are not truly in full sun (just in one of the sunniest spots I have), which exacerbates the problem.

o

I have it's twin.

As an experiment, you might try planting some of the bits and bobs you pull up when cleaning, as an edging plant in a larger mixed planting pot. That's what I did a few years ago, and after the first year of not looking so great, mine has turned back into the beautiful plant I remember when I purchased it many, many years ago.

It could be many reasons mine has transformed, but I think the main thing it likes is the light potting mix, compared to actual soil that compacts over time. It's on the edge of a planted wheelbarrow, a pretty well drained spot compared to normal conditions here. A spot I previously had trouble with long term plantings due to getting too dry year round.

Worth a try.

This post was edited by plaidbird on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 22:34

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here