Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happened to these Forget-Me-Nots?

Posted by KateinDC 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 15:26

My little plants of Forget-Me-Nots (which are still recovering from my husband's accidental mowing last year) appear to be partially rotting, or are afflicted by some black fungus:

photo IMG_6779_zpsd4502c37.jpg

Any advice on why this happened? This is a partially shaded but well-drained location. Thanks in advance.

(Please overlook the weeds around it... I have too many weeds and too little time these days. But if you know what this grass is that's growing among them, please let me know.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happened to these Forget-Me-Nots?

Most forget-me-nots die off after flowering and look black and messy like that. You normally rip them out at that poin. They will likely have heavily seeded the area and the seedlings will pop up soon - those will flower for you next year. So you need to learn to recognize the seedlings so you don't weed them out! You may likely need to thin them out though.

o

I agree with woody.... this is exactly what happens with mine. I do pull out the dry, black remainders. You'll find many more next season, and forever afterwards, near or in this area.

Molie

o

Thank you. I do hope they self-seeded. They didn't bloom much this year because of last year's mowing. So, woodyoak, do you mean the seedlings will pop up this summer/fall?

o

Once you've had them, you should have them for life. Google forget me not seedling identification so you'll know what to look for in the not so distant future.

Most of my garden beds turn blue with them and I let them be since they don't hurt other plantings. I'm sure I've spread a lot of them around working around them when they're going to seed - the seed pods on the stalks must have a tiny barb that stick to socks, shoe laces, shirt cuffs and get brushed or fall off.

o

Yes, the seedling will appear soon - if they aren't there already.... There are forget-me-not seedlings in many places in my garden now.

o

they are a true biennial ... they die after bloom the second year.. and yours did ... totally.. and completely the natural cycle ...

though you can remove it... since you are a newb to them... leave it there..so when the seed sprouts.. you will remember what they are .. what you see is the decomposition process.. its not going to attack other plants ...

soon enough.. you will recognize the hairy little leaves... without leaving the rotting mess there ...

some seed might germinate this fall ... and they will winter over ,... others will sprout in spring ...

the ones that sprout in fall will probably bloom next year.. and die.. they having lived in two seasons... one dormancy period ...

the ones that germ in spring.. might not bloom in the one year.. and would winter over ...

and if this in fact happens... then you will now have them every year.. because they are spread across two seasons ...

if you find a biennial you like.. one trick.. is to buy one two springs in a row .... so you will always have one blooming.. and one dying ... or as in this case.. you get the seed cycling going .... and then you can stop buying them.. unless you insist of specific cultivar color ....

and you thought you asked an easy question.. lol ...

ken

ps: oh man.. you have creeping jenny... good luck with that.. there are a vast majority[???] of peeps.. who have a hate on for that beast ... new post.. if you want to know why ....

o

Thank you, Ken, that is helpful.

Creeping Jenny -- I guess it can spread aggressively? Hasn't for me... It isn't competing too well with those weed grasses that I should remove. I frankly was hoping for it to be denser... thought it would look nice with the blue forget-me-nots.

o

Creeping Jenny -- ... I frankly was hoping for it to be denser

==>>> again ... you are fixated on instant gratification ...

in 3 to 5 years... your view on this charming little plant .. which is focused on world domination ... might be a little different than .. hoping it was a little more aggressive.. lol ..

regardless.. it takes favorably to round up ... lol

just for giggles.. start a new post about CJ... and ask for the forums observations ... title it something like: creeping jenny -- friend or foe

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Ken, forget-me-nots can also be perennial. I bought some many years ago and I love them. The 'Myosotis scorpioides' is the perennial. They've spread, but not aggressively. One of my favorites.

Kat

Here is a link that might be useful: Perennial 'Forget-Me-Nots'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here