Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

mass planting of Gooseneck

We were away earlier this week and at the hotel I noticed this impressive stand of "Gooseneck Loosestrife". I know it can be aggressive but it is pretty when it is in bloom.

Comments (8)

• lesmc
    9 years ago

Took me four years to get rid of mine! I agree, very pretty but it was out of controlâ¦eating my entire garden if left. Nice filler in bouquets, but had to go. Lesley

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

It is attractive, Rouge, but only on other people's property.

I found it easier to keep yellow loosestrife in line than gooseneck loosestrife.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

lysimachia atropurpurea 'Beaujolais' is enjoying a moment of fame in England. From relative obscurity, it is suddenly seen in all the 'right' gardens. Always amusing, the evolution of these little garden trends - last year, Totally Tangerine geum. I know I have been banging on about umbels - musta sniffed summat in the air because they are everywhere....or at least, no garden is complete without a swathe of orlaya (common as muck, annual. ) or cenolophium denudata ( 'refined' RHS stylee).
    I might be tempted to grow them in the wood (but suspect thirsty tree roots are going to limit my options) - nonetheless, I have got seeds of lysimchia ephemerum on the go and also came back from my Scotland trip with a seedling of l.ciliata 'Fireworks' (or Firecracker?) - will grow it in the ditch with the hemp agrimony.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I saw a large patch of gooseneck loosestrife in a long entrance border at the MN Arboretum today. It was very attractive. I love the gooseneck blossoms and keep a small pot on my patio, deadheading to prevent seeding. Had the pot in the ground and it needed potting up as just ready to escape the pot. Thinking about getting a half barrel to grow it in.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

I had a friend who could grow all these aggressive, invasive things in her yard and they NEVER got out of control. I don't know how she did it. And she had a rather wild garden so it's not like she was obsessive about consciously keeping it controlled. Her garden was wild, but on the small side and contained within a specific area of her yard. She grew gooseneck loosestrife, chinese lanterns, aegopodium, Queen Anne's lace, spearmint, and even had bittersweet that seemed to stay in once place, on the fence. And her garden was so beautiful, if unstructured. It always amazed me.

But I loved it too because I could cut all the gooseneck loosestrife and QAL I wanted for my bouquets for market, but didn't have to grow it. We also made lovely bouquets and door ornaments in the fall using the chinese lanterns and bittersweet. She had all this stuff and so under control that I almost considered growing some of it myself. But I came to my senses in time! :)

Dee

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Maybe the thugs were so busy fighting it out that they kept themselves inline.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

So pretty. It isn't grown in my area of the country, unfortunately or fortunately.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

It CAN'T grow in my area of the country.

Sponsored
Roanoke Landscapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Botetourt's Full Scope Landscaping ServicesBest of Houzz Winner