Posted by kentstar 5b NE Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 15:43

Grasshoppers? Slugs? JB's?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heuchera: what does this kind of damage? Pics

Looks like it could be either slugs or JBs or both. I normally have slug damage on my hostas but this year I sprinkled crushed eggshells around them as soon as they poked up through the soil. This year: zero slug damage. They've never bothered any of my heuchera though and I have close to a dozen plants.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 17:14

If I were to find sharp notches from outer edges leading in, in my climate it would be weevil. Go out after dark with a flashlight, look. You may have to make more than one trip, begin about dusk and if you don't see anything, try again later.

o

I do use Sluggo regularly and I don't see evidence of slug damage.
The notches are all from the outer edges so maybe weevils. I never had this damage before and they've been in the ground for 4 years now!

o

On a side note, it looks like your 'Jack Frost' brunnera may have foliar nematodes. And I'd agree with the weevil damage on the heuchera.

o

It's weevil time. Overnight all of my Rhodies, huecheras and Clematis have weevil damage.

o

I think every brunnera out there has foliar nematodes. As much as I like them, I'm about to pitch them all and not grow brunnera any more. They look nice in spring, but by July they are ragged and look like crap.

Karen

o

Is the damage new? If not, maybe it's winter moth larvae. One of my heuchera was decimated before I noticed the caterpillars. After that I started checking all the heuchera and hand-picking. But this was back in late May/early June.

o

• Posted by ornata London UK 8/9%3F% (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 10:34

I get lots of slugs and snails in my garden but they've never so much as taken a nibble out of any of my heucheras.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here