Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

shoulda listened

User
9 years ago

Isphahan warned me! Crystal lake is a rubbish geranium, s/he said.....but did I listen? In mitigation, the order was already in but still, what a duffer. Lots of foliage, nice and healthy, with 2 (yes, 2!) measly little flowers.

I hardly ever buy named plants from nurseries, so the disappointment is even more acute.

Isphahan, do tell me, what are your performers this year? I am all ears.

Comments (6)

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

That looked like a cranesbill type of geranium when I googled it. If it is, I never think of them as a plant with impressive flowers but more like a ground cover for tough areas with blooms here and there. Maybe it ought to be relegated as a ground cover plant to naturalize in your wooded area, a workhorse rather than a show horse? I think the leaves turn red in fall.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh no, Tex, there are some absolute gorgeous hardies - 'Orion', 'Silver Cloak', G.cineruem 'Carol', 'Salome'....and you might even consider the less hardy G.maderense or g.palmatum as the foliage is as stunning as the blooms (maderense is extraordinary). True, there are a lot of modest workhorses (.g.phaeum, g.maccrorhizum, oxonianum etc.but it is entirely fitting that the RHS announced the 'plant of the century' as the famously gorgeous Rozanne........ along with campanulas, there will always be a selection of geraniums, sun or shade, in all of my gardens....but please, not any rubbish of the same standard as g.wallichianum 'Crystal Lake'.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

Oh.

I'm only familiar with the wild cranesbill kind. Oughta keep my mouth shut when it comes to the hybrids-- I don't keep up with them.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

This is G maderense in my garden. It self sows with abandon. Huge leaves. Banks of flowers three feet high for 7 or 8 weeks. Still going now but easing off. Apologies for poor focus. Hoping for a new camera for my birthday.

This post was edited by floral_uk on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 9:53

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Most of the geraniums I grow are species - rarely do I bother with named varieties, especially those which have to be vegetatively propagated (having a tight streak and growing 'em from seed)....and honestly, Tex, there are some stunners which would easily survive the searing southern heat - am thinking now of the mediterranean G.renardii, the New Zealand g.riversleanum....or a number of gorgeous south africans such as G,robustus, G.incana and various naturally arising hybrids (such as the above mentioned Silver Cloak). I know you are generally wedded to natives (isn't the US geranium g.maculatum?... which is essentially a woodlander?) Flora's maderense originates (along with palmatum) in the temperate but frost free zone of the Canary Isles - as does a number of rather brilliant succulents) For me though, I have no such boundaries and will look anywhere for a good plant which survives my negligent care (hence my new-found interest in US plants such as leadworts and species penstemon). Of course, this is ultimately the source of my usual difficulties - a vast curiosity and desire to grow everything.....although in all other aspects of life, I have usually been more able to demonstrate a bit more control and restraint.

Should you ever venture out of native species, SA plants are quite fabulous (have been down that road numerous times) with Namaqualand daisies and Karoo plants to the forefront of every arid gardeners wish-list (not to mention the maquis and guarrigue plants of southern europe). Have not dared to venture too far into s.America as that way disaster (and poverty) lies (those weird southern hemisphere inversions and strange tiny little flora and fauna of Chile, odd Andean root vegetables (have a friend doing that stuff with Oca and mashua etc.).....in Jerry Garcia's immortal words - 'what a long strange trip we are on' .

Sigh, Flora, my camera is also doing that sticking lens (and enraging screen message) thing....and no birthday in sight till October. Ever tried the white maderense? Debating whether to get seeds.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    9 years ago

Sorry, Campanula, I meant to reply to this thread sooner, but it has been an exceptionally busy summer! That is too bad about 'Crystal Lake' being a dud. Mine has been growing a lot more than normal in this mild, relatively rainy summer, but it has still been pathetic in both quality and quantity of blooms. You practically need a microscope to see the flowers! It must perform well somehere, otherwise I can't imagine why someone would have wanted to introduce it and put it on the market.

The geraniums that perform best for me so far are:

'Blue Cloud' (probably my favorite overall)
    'Rozanne'
    'Sirak' (takes a few seasons to establish but spectacular!)
    'Orion'
    'Brookside'
    'Wageningen'
    'A.T. Johnson'
    'Rebecca Moss'
    'Tiny Monster'
    Geranium sanguineum variants
    Geranium erianthum
    Geranium maculatum variants
    Geranium phaeum variants
    Geranium soboliferum 'Butterfly Kisses'

Most of these have been growing so well this season that I have already had to whack them back to the ground one or more times just to prevent them from overwhelming neighboring perennials!

TexasRanger10, not all hardy geraniums are created equal. You need to research those which will perform well in your own climate. But the genus is vast so it is likely that one or more will thrive.