Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

This is why you don't move a Baptisia

aachenelf z5 Mpls
10 years ago

At least a very old, established one....

Well, I did it. I took mine out today and now I understand all the stories about how hard these are to get out of the ground. Keep in mind, my plant was very old, so maybe a younger one would be easier to transplant.

After removing all the stems and foliage I attacked the base and root system. I didn't encounter a tap root, but it seems like all the roots went either very deep or they spread out a long distance from the base of the plant. I started to pull on one severed root and it extended over 2 feet from the base of the plant. Now I understand why this area of my garden was continually bone dry.

The really tough part was all this woody material right below the surface of the soil.

{{gwi:252494}}

{{gwi:252495}}

The only way I could get it out was to chop it into small sections with a hatchet and then attempt to dig it out with a shovel and the assistance of the hatchet for the really tough roots.

It's all out of the ground now after a couple of hours of work, but I think I need to go back and see if some more of those deep roots can be removed. Hopefully, most of them will rot in the ground, but for sure it's going to take some time. I would like to replant this area next spring, so they have to be gone by then.

Kevin

Comments (6)