Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lennon2

Replacements for yanked perennials

lennon2
11 years ago

A workman who was simply to move some Shastas and pull up the over-aggressive blue spiderwort also pulled up all my Gallery lupines, poppies and delphiniums yesterday. There is a large bare area there now.

How can I best recover? Can I start lupine and delphinium and poppy seeds now and have blooms next season?

Is there a nursery online with a great sale of large perennial plants?

How would you recoup? (We're not young and can't wait years to rebuild.)

All tips and advice gratefully received.

Comments (12)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

The great thing about perennials is you don't have to wait years to rebuild. They grow fast and even smaller starts can form an impressive plant by the end of the growing season.

I'd check out whatever late season sales may be available in your area (sorry, I don't do mail order so not sure what specials they may offer) or just start with fresh plants next spring. As stated, even small starts planted in early spring will make a sizeable display by this time next year. And most will offer a decent bloom season as well.

I don't do any seeds either but most perennials will take a couple of seasons to flower when grown from seed. You could try winter sowing delphiniums - they could produce quicker results. You might want to consider filling out the bare area while the new perennials are growing on with some annuals. Annual poppies - like the breadseed or somniferums grow rapidly and provide a big bang for the buck. So do annual delphiniums (larkspur) and multiple other choices.

ps. shoot the workman :-)

• booberry85
    11 years ago

"Is there a nursery online with a great sale of large perennial plants? " Romence Gardens & greenhouses has a great reputation although I've never ordered from them (I want to though. Just waiting for the money fairy to rain on me.)

Sorry to read about your woes with your workman.

Here is a link that might be useful: Romence

• socks
    11 years ago

Here's another link to a site I have not used but was recommended by someone here.

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/index.html

I'm not in your zone so hesitate to make recommendations. How about walk or drive your neighborhood for a few ideas and go to your local Home Depot or better nursery to pick out what you like? Sorry this happened, but maybe it will be even better in the end.

• lennon2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the encouragement. Gardengal, will the poppies and larkspur bloom this summer?

Booberry, I have bought annuals from Romence, but they are sold out of lupines now. (Or are they really telling me you can't plant lupines this time of year?)

Socks, your suggestion of Home Depot is inspired. I will head over and see if there's anything I can rescue from there.

I feel better already. Many thanks!

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    11 years ago

I hope you didn't pay that workman. What a horrible thing to happen.

Many local nurseries are currently having end of season of sales. Where are you located? If you're in New Jersey, I can give you some names.

Bluestone is an excellent online nursery. I've bought many, many plants from them. The quality and customer service are both outstanding.

• linlily
    11 years ago

I bought from Garden Harvest Supply this spring and was so very pleased with all the plants I purchased, as well as how they were packaged for shipping. Every plant I bought is growing well and is healthy. Many of the perennials arrived blooming and some are still blooming. They are having a 20% off sale on perennials according to the website:
    http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/ProductCart/pc/-c112.htm

It looks like some of the poppies are still available but not the Lupines. Why not try Winter Sowing some lupines? I grew some dwarf lupines from seed planted in the spring one year and several years later I still have new volunteers that came up from seed from the originals, which only last a year or two here. I bought a Gallery Lupine this spring at a local nursery but it has not bloomed as yet. I may have to wait until next year for it, but you never know. I have had them bloom in the fall when I didn't expect them to flower. Good Luck,
    Linda

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

I just received an order of echinacea Pow Wow from New Garden Plants and am truly impressed! They have a sale going on now.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Garden Plants

• lennon2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all! I'll look into the links with sales, and more are welcome.

(Home Depot was a bust -- they had a few things but nothing I really wanted. Blue salvia, yarrow, a few pink and white phlox, short garish rudbeckia...

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Gardeners plant as though they will live forever. My dad built this house after retirement and planted until his death at 88. We have enjoyed his planting as much as he did when planting it, and expect whoever lives here next, will do the same. Al

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

Just received my order from Santa Rosa. The plants are half the size as those from New Garden Plants and were more expensive.

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

Just received my order from Santa Rosa. The plants are half the size as those from New Garden Plants and were more expensive.

• lennon2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

calistoga, thanks for saying that. I had forgotten. (New to being old, bad at it.)