Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Shockwave does have superb leaf colour

I am usually not one of those gardeners who is mature enough to see the importance of foliage texture and colour...especially when said plant isnt putting out in terms of a flower. BUT Shockwave phlox is one plant I would have in my garden even if it didn't flower. The variegation is outstanding. The close-up below is that of a second year stand of a single plant. Unlike my other Phlox which are way ahead of schedule this almost 2 foot tall plant doesnt yet show any flower buds but I am confident that it will and I am actually hoping that it does happen much later in the summer given so many other plants have 'flowered out' already in this hot year. As well there is very little mildew on these plants.

Comments (19)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Damn picture didnt load. (It seems to be the case that if one previews more than once with an uploaded file the picture doesn't come with the post)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

That looks great. I have a variegated phlox, not shockwave.... maybe goldmine? I forget right now, but it's only about 4 inches high and barely holding on this year. Nothing like yours! How do you like the color of the blooms along with the leaves?

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks kato_b. Unlike some other variegated phlox/plants this SHOCKWAVE has been a steady grower this season. As I indicated the two plants are each over 18" in height and very upright. Last year, their first year, the blooms seemed to complement the foliage or at the least did not clash as I have noticed with other variegated phlox. If I remember I will post a picture when they do flower to let you decide.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    11 years ago

I used to grow 'Nora Leigh' but I think this is much prettier.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

I have been thinking about getting one of these, so thanks so much for showing. I would love to see a pic of yours in bloom if you get blooms and it isn't too much trouble. I'm curious to see how the flowers match up to online pics.
    CMK

Original Author
    11 years ago

You bet christinmk ie I will post pictures of the flowers.

• miclino
    11 years ago

I have both shockwave and nora Leigh. Personally like Nora Leigh foliage. But shockwave is not even budding yet.

Original Author
    11 years ago

miclino wrote: But shockwave is not even budding yet..

Same here and I am kind of glad as at least there will be one plant still too bloom come August!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Just this past week the flowers began to appear:

Original Author
    11 years ago

A second shot:

• linlily
    11 years ago

Wow, your phlox is just lovely. Thanks for posting pictures for us and enjoy your beauties.
    Linda

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

Those flowers are actually very pretty- and nice paired with the foliage, lol. I love the foliage of Nora Leigh, but don't think the flowers 'pop' much against it.

Thanks so much for taking the time to snap pics of the flowers rouge! Think I might need to make room for this guy out front ;-)
    CMK

• splitrock
    11 years ago

Lovely! I would like to just replicate that whole scene in my own garden. Could you tell us the names of the plant behind the shockwave? That looks like several well grown coreopsis in front, but which coreopsis? Are they in full sun? How about deer?

Original Author
    11 years ago

splitrock you made my day.

I hesitate to show you a wider view of this garden as it is much too packed with perennial plants.

The front row alternates with campanula 'freya' (out of bloom) with gaillardia 'Arizona Apricot'. Just behind that border is a row of two huge wonderful 'candytuft' (of course out of bloom) alternating with 2 Oso easy 'Paprika' roses. And at the very back (closest to the deck) are *6* rose bushes.

(With opportune pruning I really can keep things in check)

Oh wait, of course, right in the centre is an obelisk with the clematis 'Tie Dye' with the two phlox 'Shockwave' at the front corners of the obelisk!

• splitrock
    11 years ago

Shockingly gorgeous - really stunning. Thanks

• miclino
    11 years ago

Well mine was planted this spring in a prime location, is badly mildewed and no flowers yet. Nora Leigh in a less prime location has no such problems.

Original Author
    11 years ago

That is interesting miclino. As you might see from my first picture this stand of "Shockwave" has no mildew.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here I think is a better picture of this same small action packed garden:

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

Sooooooo beautiful. Thank you.