Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to deadhead coneflowers????

Posted by prettypetals GA 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 27, 09 at 16:23

Hi everyone, I bought a few coneflowers last year and a few this year and wondered if I am suppose to deadhead them and if so how you deadhead them?? Thanks for your help, Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to deadhead coneflowers????

When I dead head mine I just cut about the middle of the flower stalk.But if there is by chance another flower on the same stalk then I cut before the above the new flower if that makes sense. But I am leaving my coneflowers undead headed since so many of the birds love the seeds.

Paula

o

Thanks Paula! I haven't dead headed them any yet and I don't think they have put up any new stems or if they are even suppose to put up any new stems during the year. Does this make any sense?? It seems like they stay looking good for sooooo long and then they start turning brown and I wasn't sure what to do with the stem once the flower turned brown. I dead headed some daisies I bought hoping they might put up new stems too but they are just sitting there and I didn't want to make the same mistake with my coneflowers. I would rather leave the spent blooms for the birds if they aren't going to put out any new stems. Thanks a bunch, Judy

o

I deadhead some of mine by making bouquets! :)

The rest of them, I usually just leave for the birds and winter interest, etc. However, I had soooooo many volunteers this year that I may end up deadheading after all.

I would do what Paula does - cut down the stalk unless there are more buds. Then I would just cut down to above the new bud.

:)
Dee

o

I plan to deadheadmost most of mine for the same reason Dee did. I didn't get a chance to do any deadheading last year and I now have lots (and lots and lots) of echinaceas to give away!

I usually deadhead to right above a leaf. It looks neater imo.

o

I deadhead mine the same way I deadhead most of my perennials that bloom most of the summer: cut the blooms off either to the leaf, or to a new bud, and continue to deadhead until it gets later in the summer and the blooms start to taper off. Once I think I'm on the last flush of blooms for the summer/fall, I leave the seed heads on and allow them to develop. I like to have a little bit of self-seeding going on, in case I need a few, and feed for the birds, etc.

o

Thanks everyone. I will deadhead to tidy up the bush a little and leave the rest for the birds for later. Thanks for your help. Judy

o

I planted my first coneflowers this year. They've been great but now most of the blooms are ending. Here's my dumb question for the day. It looks to me like the new flower buds look similar to the old flower heads once the petals fall off. I want to deadhead to prolong the bloom time, but I can't tell the difference!! I know, stupid question! I'm not even sure that they will produce more flowers if deadheaded.

The one thing I did notice is that they might feel different -- are the new buds soft where the spent flowerheads are hard?

Last question, if I let it go to seed at the end of the season, can it produce new seedlings through mulch? I have the bed heavily mulched to retain the drip irrigation in our 90+ degree temps. I'd like to have more coneflowers next year. Should I consider raking the mulch away once the seedheads set? Any advice for my climate would be appreciated. We're hot and dry all summer and won't get any natural rain until November.

Debbie

o

• Posted by ditas z4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 12:12

Hi - Like Paula & Dee - I leave cones for the birds in Winter, as well & to me, so pretty in the snow with the birds looking like flowers busy pecking the seeds!!! By Spring they are practically devoured ... & to think that I have several bird feeders I maintain as well! ;)

Debbie - These are learning forums that I found truly, generously helpful ... No ??? are stupid ... many of us, are forever newbies, so ask away!!! Someone in your zone, will soon chime in w/ better responses!

Have a great garden day!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here