Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting echinacea in fall?

Posted by greenfreak Z7 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 23, 09 at 16:24

Any objections? I'm reading all these threads on echinacea with great interest as all I've purchased so far is Magnus. I'm extremely happy with it but would like light colored echinacea to go with it as a contrast. White Swan seems universally accepted...

But do you think I would be better off waiting until spring? If I do find them locally, I would get the largest pot possible.

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting echinacea in fall?

If you can find them in gallon pots that would work great.

o

I love to plant in the fall. The perennial roots have time to get established over the winter before pushing up new growth and blooms. I DO NOT plant coreopsis in the fall or plants where my zone is at the edge of cold that they can handle. I've had great success with echinaceas that were planted in the fall.

Cameron

Planted in fall 2008:

Early summer 2009 photo of some of those new plants:

o

Fall planting gives you what amounts to a year's leap on the next season, even in much colder zones than yours. Just do it at least 6 weeks before your first frost.

o

It also depends on the cultivar of Echinacea we are talking about. If it's any of the species it will be ok. However, some of the new cultivars need to be planted in spring, especially if you can't get a large plant.

Terra Nova told me not to plant Tiki Torch unless it was a gallon sized plant. I've seen several reports of people losing their plants that were planted in the fall.

o

Thanks everyone! I think I'm sticking to species for now. I'm trying to get the "must have" plants as the foundation for the beds so I want them to be tried and true. I can take chances later, which will give me more time to read all your comments on them and learn from you. :)

I think I'm going to stick with White Swan, get maybe three, and leave the rest till next year. Thanks!

o

White Swan is awesome. It's definitely a tried a true plant!

o

I really like 'White Swan' too. I also have 'Fragrant Angel' which has received a lot of hype over the past few years. It's nice...but i like the appearance and performance of 'White Swan' more.

o

I've put in Echinacea as late as the end of october in MN and they always make it. I wouldn't worry, especially with white swan which is not one of the touchier cultivars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here