Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Something really ordinary and really beautiful

When I noticed this in the garden today, it kind of took my breath away because I thought it was so lovely with the sun shining on the flowers.

You probably grow it, have grown it or at least know someone who grows it. Sedum album - that kind of nondescript ground-hugging succulent with the tiny, greenish-red leaves which is almost weed-like and impossible to get rid of without a lot of effort. You can't hoe it out of the ground because every little piece will grow into a new plant. It creeps everywhere, but when it blooms it's rather worth it all IMO.

If you're still unsure what the plant looks like, in the first photo, look at the base of that cluster of Hen & Chicks in the bottom near-center. You'll see some of the reddish green foliage of the sedum.

Kevin

{{gwi:253351}}

{{gwi:253353}}

{{gwi:253355}}

Comments (21)

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

Thats nice spilling over the wall & I like ordinary best.

What is the blue grass?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is Helictotrichon sempervirens or Blue Oat Grass. My favorite and most useful grass. I use it lots.

Kevin

• catkin
    9 years ago

Very pretty, Ken.

What's the mature height of your blue oat grass? I'm lovin' that, too!

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I feel the same when my Red Dragon sedum edging one area is in bloom. Never know when beauty is going to catch me.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

It's pretty...in a wild way :)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

catkin - The grass is about 15 inches tall.

mnwsgal - Red Dragon has been on my list to buy for a while now. It would be nice to see a photo of yours if you have it.

I'm starting to realize a lot of these low growing, ground cover-type Sedums can be quite lovely and I think I need more of them. Plus they bloom before the taller ones which is nice.

Kevin

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    9 years ago

I adore sedums and have quite a few but no S. album. Your pictures are convincing me that I am missing out.

Great placement too!

• catkin
    9 years ago

Excuse the incorrect name, Kevin.

Thanks for the grass info. Do you grow Sedum 'Angelina'? I have some to put in the ground--looks promising! Check out its image. It changes color through the season.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    9 years ago

I've got a little patch spilling over my rock-lined path in the back. Its very unassuming until it starts to bloom, that's for sure! Very floriferous sedum.
    CMK

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

catkin - Yep I have Angelina. It's slowing taking over a bed which I wanted it to do. It even bloomed this year!

Kevin

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    9 years ago

Love Angelina... it does tend to pop up in unexpected places but very easy to remove. Can't beat how easy it is to propagate :) I have never seen her bloom! What color Kevin?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here you go:

{{gwi:253357}}

This one is just about done blooming, but the flowers aren't all that attractive - plus they are very sparse - plus most of the flowers are on stems a good 9-10 inches above the plant.

Kevin

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    9 years ago

Thanks for the posting the pic Kevin... interesting flowers. They look a sort of lemon-lime color. Do you have it in part shade? The foliage is more green than mine.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A little bit of shade, but mainly hot, afternoon sun. I noticed the stems hanging over the mulch are greener than the rest of the plant which is very yellow.

Kevin

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

I have lots of Angelina. I'm not fond of the blooms either as I think it takes away from the plant. I always trim them off, which is quite a job since I have so much. Looks much tidier. I really like it for a splash of color and texture here and there...and everywhere lol.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Sorry, Kecin, no photo, probably because it is so ordinary. Another thing I like about Red Dragon is that it gets more red in more sun. It is also easy to control. No photos now as the creeping thyme around it is in bloom obscuring the sedum. When creeping thyme bloom starts to fade I will cut it back. Will try to remember to take photos and post later.

• david883
    9 years ago

Very nice! It looks (and, from the sounds of it, behaves) very similar to my Sedum Humisifusum. My partner's mom gave me a little snippet of this two years ago. It was no more than 2 inches. Its about 2 sq ft now and I just found another patch growing in a totally different part of the yard. I like this one's flowers, though. They sort of remind me of Sedum Matrona's flowers when they start out. Thanks for sharing!

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    9 years ago

I have 'Voodoo' and it is quite red in full sun. Very striking when it's covered in bright pink blooms.

david, I looked up S. humisifusum -- adorable! Looks like it has a nice, tight habit.

• catkin
    9 years ago

Yay for the Angelina! Planted two yesterday. May have to put some in shade...is there a 'Brad'? :~)

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Lol Cat!

Don't forget all the seedling too.

• User
    9 years ago

Mmm, I consider 'beautiful' to have utility and vigor. A plant, any plant, which is well grown and appropriate (as this is), always looks beautiful to me... right plant, right place is a gardening truism, yet it took me years to break a habit of growing totally random (unsuitable) plants

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting