Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judyhi

annual or perennial

judyhi
9 years ago

Good afternoon,

Can you tell me by the photo provided, if this is an annual or perennial? Any info would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Comments (14)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Looks to me like Tanacetum parthenium/feverfew - herbaceous perennial. What size are the flowers?

• judyhi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The flowers are no larger than 1/2 inch when fully open.

Thanks

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

Or it might be a common fleabane or daisy fleabane. It's an annual weed but I like them enough to leave them and they never become a problem, just trim off the faded flowers and it will bloom all summer. Looks like it may have come in with soil on the butterfly bush that's growing next to it.

• jaynine
    9 years ago

Erigeron of some kind?

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

Double post!?

This post was edited by kato_b on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 20:03

• judyhi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. I believe it is fleabane. Yes, it isn't too bad looking but now I can yank it for something else better suited for that area and not worry about relocating it. RE the butterfly bush, I got sooo many seedlings this year, I couldn't believe they weren't a weed in disguise.The portulaca also planted itself.

Keep posting your pictures,y'all. I love to see them!!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

For this reason Butterfly bush is considered an invasive in places like Washington State, I think.

• User
    9 years ago

They are absolute weeds in the UK - I pull them out as much as sow thistle. The railways were the major source of weed transport in the UK and buddleja grows along every track in the country. Personally, I dislike it intensely, having seen so many walls wrecked by its inveterate seeding...and complete failure to grow it well (ie.hard cutbacks every March...to the ground). Even so, there are a couple I would give room to - the silvery lindleyana or the interesting alternifolia....and Mr.Camps is agitating hard for Black Knight or some such dark variety. Can just about cope with them....but never, under any circs, will a white buddleja find its nasty browning badly dying way into my beds.....ever.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I allow these to grow in my back yard where I don't keep it as tidy as the front. I let them bloom and then pull them after they finish and aren't pretty anymore. I feel like they are gifts from nature. I can't imagine pulling up butterfly weed, I would love to have that growing wild!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

arkansas_girl - Campanula is talking about Butterfly Bush, Buddleja, not Butterfly Weed, Asclepias.

They truly are an invasive species in the UK - definitely weeds here. They grow all over the place and displace natives in some areas. Here's one in a wall near my house. You can imagine the damage it can do.

• judyhi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the picture, Floral_UK. Wow!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Photo looks like Mexican daisy, Erigeron karvinskianus, which is a perennial fleabane. And a profuse reseeder. In fact, one of the most popular cultivars is named 'Profusion' :-))

I have often used this as a "filler" in container plantings and was surprised to find it then popping up in following seasons between my patio pavers. Some reseeders are just very appealing and even more so if the offspring are easy to remove when not wanted.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

The OP's plant does look like Erigeron karvinskianus in flower and foliage but the ones in my garden and which self seed in walls all around here are not as upright. The stems are laxer and thinner and the whole plant is altogether shorter and less robust-looking.

• paul_
    9 years ago

Wow! Never seen a Buddleja grow like that!