Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluestone7

Stumped by a Trellis Problem

bluestone7
9 years ago

Hi-
While I am in zone 7b, the south side of my house is killer hot in July and Aug.

We have a very narrow side yard (think tiny urban lot). To relieve the visual boredom, I put in two black wrought iron looking trellises- against the house and between windows. The trellises each are about 24 inches wide by 72 inches tall. They are separate not shoved together.
Even with nothing on them the trellises are a big improvement.

I have had no luck finding a vine that could be of the right size for the trellis and take the heat. Does anyone know of any vines OR anything for that matter that I could use in front of the trellis.

At this point, I am thinking of just putting an acapulco rose agastache in front of the trellis-it won't climb it I know but it doesn't look too bad visually.
TIA

Comments (7)

• User
    9 years ago

the annual eccremocarpus scaber is rather nice, as is mina lobata or the flowering Tangier pea - l.tingitanus, Possibly one of the trachelospermums - these are relatively neat and mannerly in the UK but could (for all I know) become enormous for you. I am assuming you do not want to block the passage or space so need something which stays neat against the trellis? Obviously, there are clems such as texensis, cirrhosis, urophylla, or pitcheri should take the heat, as would fremontedendron or maybe a mandevilla (although these are strictly greenhouse plants in the UK.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

bluestone, I had this same problem, compounded by the fact that my trellises were propped up in window boxes placed on the patio, because there is no room at the foot of the blank wall for proper planters, due to the stairs.

I know you are asking on the perennials forum, but I am going to recommend an annual. I had some luck with asarina scandens. I grew it from seed, and it did fairly well in this hot spot. Not only full sun most of the day, but on the patio which was surrounded on three sides by asphalt, also in full sun. So lots of sun and lots of heat.

These would probably actually have done much better than they did if I didn't neglect them so badly. They probably could have been watered lot more, sitting in those shallow little boxes.

Bonus (or not, lol?) - they reseeded too, so I had them a few years running from one planting.

Hmm, funny, I just googled quickly to be able to show you a photo, and I see it recommends morning sun! Mine did quite well in the hot afternoon sun!

Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: asarina example

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you may be hard pressed... to plant anything in july/august... in your hot sunny conditions ... it being a transplant issue .. more than the particular plant ...

i might wonder what is actually available... but i havent been shopping the annuals lately ...

all i can think you might find... is sweet potato vine ... and at least that would be something ...

you would have to perfect watering at transplant... and if you could shade the new transplant from the sun for a few days... it would probably help ...

dont forget morning glory ... but i dont know if you have enough season left to grow them from seed ...

there are lots and lots of options... when you get to seed ... but as i said.. those might be limited.. this time of year .. well .. here in MI for sure .. probably end up blooming 30 minutes before the first frost ... lol

perhaps there is time wherever you may be.... in z7

ken

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Have you considered clematis? There are a lot of shorter varieties that would do well. They like their roots cool so either mulching them or planting something at the base helps but there should be varieties that would do well in your area.

If you are interested I can help do some searching for some shorter clematises. Let me know! :)

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Off the top of my head I know Clematis Diamantina should be compact enough for your trellises and it is zone hardy to zone 11 so it should be a safe choice and the blooms are gorgeous.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Bluestone, you might consider Poet's Jasmine - Jasminum Officinale - for those trellises. Hardy to zone 6, loves the sun, blooms from June to frost here in central VA. Loses its leaves most Winters, but the stems remain green so still ornamental in the cold & with deep blue/black berries. Lovely fragrance emitted that carries late afternoon through evening, or anytime you stick your nose close to the flowers. Not a heavy cloying perfume, but sweet & clean. Hummingbirds love them & so do I.

I'd wanted this for years & planted one in this garden 16 years ago that I'd grown from a cutting. Took off easily. There are several varieties, some with pale or variegated foliage that may have trouble in that baking position. I grow the dark green one, with hints of pink on the outside of the buds that open white. Logee's Greenhouse usually carries them, but website says sold out at the moment. Looking for a link, found this one for BC that sells gallons & ships till the 15th. Others found have mainly suspended shipping till September or on backorder. Brushwood carries it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jasminum Officinale

This post was edited by vasue on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 13:35

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

Or as you suggested, there is nothing wrong with putting nothing on the trellises. From the way you describe them, I would imagine they are attractive as is and add some visual interest to the area. I like the idea of putting a potted something in front of the trellises - possibly elevated a bit and leaving it like that.

I have a couple of wooden trellises mounted on my fence which I've never used. I always meant to plant a vine of some sort, but never did. They've been there for years now - bare - and I like the look.

Kevin