Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

July flowers in the garden...so far, including my fav combos

Here are some pictures of my garden today.

First what is this? I had one show up a few years ago, and now I have a nice clump, and it has seeded in another part of the garden. Then today I noticed a white one in the clump. I am thinking some type of verbascum?
{{gwi:253565}}

{{gwi:253566}}

Here are a few of my favorite combo's
{{gwi:253567}}

{{gwi:253568}}

This combo was an accident, the campanula seeded itself from another part of the garden, but I like it!
{{gwi:253569}}

{{gwi:253570}}

{{gwi:253571}}

There are some more images in my flicker album linked below. The newest ones are at the end.

Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: My 2013 garden

Comments (20)

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    10 years ago

Taking a heat break here. What a nice way to spend it viewing your lovely garden and photo skills.

• steve1young
    10 years ago

Beautiful! And thanks for including the link ... so many more great pics to see!!

• crunchpa
    10 years ago

I will 2nd the photo skills. Very nice!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I really like your use of metal items in the garden and the tall trellis for the clematis is great.

Do you know the name of the steel blue allium that's growing up through the budding hydrangea?

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Oh...my...God...! That window frame(?) is absolutely gorgeous! Can you elaborate on that? Is it metal or wood, where did you find it, how did you install it? Just beautiful!

As are all your photos and your garden! And I haven't even looked at the link yet!

Thank you for sharing! My garden is such a neglected mess this year its nice to see one that is so beautiful.

Dee

• franeli
    10 years ago

Beautiful garden,beautiful photos!

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nhabs it's call azure allium, and it's my favorite color in the alliums. My only complaint is that it is floppy and falls over.

Diggerdee, The window has a funny story behind it. We live in the country, with a gravel road along one edge of our yard. A short way down the road is a cemetery that gets a lot of summer visitors. Between the yard and the road was a row of shrubs. There was a gap in the shrubs, and often while working in the yard cars driving by would go past very slowly, and the people in the car would be peeking through the gap at my yard.
    So I decided it needed a window! I was at a junk shop and found this old metal frame that I believe used to have a mirror in it. I bought it for $5 sprayed it with copper paint, and mounted it on 2 4x4's. I put some fencing on the 4x4's and planted some clematis I found on clearance there.

It is just at the right level for people to look through while sitting in a car. The road is raised above the height of my yard, to form the 4th side of a levee, to keep flood waters out.

Since then most of the shrubs have been pulled out, they died, which was fine with me as most of them were the invasive buckthorn anyway. I am slowly replacing them with shrubs I like, while I don't miss the buckthorn, I do miss the privacy. This is how the elderberry ended up in front of the window.

Jenny P
    PS if you like this story, remind me to tell you about the penguin in my pond someday! LOL!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

Incredible. I'm enchanted by your spring garden with all wonderfully color combo-ed tulips too.

My fav is the window frame with the clematis though! I've seen that technique used before, but yours is by far the best. The other one was wooden (which I liked, just doesn't last as long as metal!) and framing a stand of fennel. The other still had a mirror in it. My first thought was "OMG, no! I would hate to have to look at myself when I am in the sweaty midst of weeding!!" Lol.

I am totally in love with your style sense. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
    CMK

• pam_whitbyon
    10 years ago

Jenny, your pictures are breathtakingly beautiful. I love the romantic feel of the color palettes you use! Good luck getting that first flower identified, your photo collection is a major distraction!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

What marvelous photos of equally marvelous plants! I also fell in love with your metal window-thought it might be an old gate! Your garden is absolutely enchanting.

Now, penguin in the pool?

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

Jenny, not only do I love your combos, but I love the way you've framed them in your photos. You have a great eye.And those delphs! Stunning.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I love your pictures Jenny. Very beautiful. The yellow spikey flower is definitely a verbascum. It could be a variety called "Freefolk Yellow".

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 22:55

• garystpaul
    10 years ago

What a great garden. Thanks for sharing. The verbascum might be verbascum chaixii, maybe 'Sixteen Candles'.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

I enjoyed the tour of your garden. The window of course, and your old fashioned outdoor chairs are fun. The birdhouse with the handle for a perch. I don't think I've ever seen that done. I love your Dining Room. The wall color is very pretty and you have two photos of flower arrangements that really make the most of the wall color. I wonder if you could post photos of those two arrangements? They are just gorgeous! I think you have a talent for them.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you prairiemoon. When you ask me to post photos of my arrangements, do you mean here on this board?

I never used to do arrangements, they intimidated me. Which is funny as I worked for a while in a flower shop, I worked in the gift shop and never did anything with the flowers.

But a few years ago I read a book about Tasha Tudor, and decided I have the flowers, I have the pots, what the heck am I saving them for?? Now I have vases of flowers on a regular basis.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Yes, posting them in this thread, for those who don't click on the links sometimes. They deserve the spotlight! You have an eye for it for sure. I also love Tasha Tudor. She has a new book out that I just had out of the library, called The Unexpected Houseplant that was wonderful. She definitely has an eye for arrangements of material and pots and for staging them in her home too.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm I wonder about that book, since Tasha died at 91 years old, a few years ago. But I will have to check it out.

Here are the arrangements
    {{gwi:253572}}

{{gwi:253573}}

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

The first plant looks like Verbascum nigrum to me. What is the name of the ferny-looking leaves on the pic 3?

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wieslaw, that is an elderberry called "Sutherland gold" Right now it's about 5' tall, the window and clematis are taller!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Beautiful arrangements and I love your Dining Room!

I think you are right about the book, it's not by Tasha Tudor, but by Tovah Martin who wrote books with Tasha Tudor. Sorry about that. Nice book though.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting