Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamkr

Plant Ideas

AdamKR
10 years ago

Hey guys I have a quick question... What type of perennials could I plant with a garden that wraps around the back of our house to the side and has somewhat of a sharp decline since there is a bit of a hill to the side of my house... I'm thinking I don't want any plants that get real tall there because they would most likely fall over. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Comments (16)

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

A picture or two of the whole situation ?

• AdamKR
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here you go... Black circle is where I am looking for some ideas... As you can see it's a pretty nice space to plant! I planted Hollyhocks to the far right in this picture.

• AdamKR
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is one more but this is more on top of the hill before the decline... Thinking about doing some black eyed susan or coneflower here... This area gets full sun.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

I think a plant or two of goldsturm rudbeckia would do well there. It will fill in nicely and give lots of color. You might like Something darker to offset the gold of the rudbeckia and the yellow of the daylily. Maybe a dark leaved penstemon? Or a hardier chrysanthemum for fall color? Maybe someone else could suggest a reliable darker accent..... One of the knockout roses might be an idea.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

MOST properly grown plants do NOT fall over ... and i am of the opinion.. that over fert is the reason they fall over ...

so dont limit yourself on height based on some fallacy ... height is only one variable...

your biggest problem in your spots.. will be watering.. as water will tend to run down the hill.. before it soaks in ...

so in my world.. warped as it is.. drought resistance would be more important...

and then planting them the right way ... to assist with watering until the plant can get fully established ....

ken

• AdamKR
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your input Ken... On top of the water run off this area gets sun basically all day long so yes that will be a big battle I think. That's why I will most likely need flowers that can take the sun and drier soils.

I'm really thinking blak eyed susan and shasta daisies would go great here.

• boday
    10 years ago

I would consider two step downs, mini terraces, because of the severe drop. This would serve as water collectors and then use the plant heights to achieve uniformity. That corner is begging for a robust Clematis like a Jackmani or a Viticella, would even echo the shutters.

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

I second the idea of some little brick or stone terraces in there to make flatter planting spots. Otherwise your water and mulch will always be leaving the area.

When I look at that spot I envision a clump or two of a robust perennial grass. They can deal with slopes and most can tolerate drought too.

I also like the thought of something structural like a clematis or a rose too. It is a nice spot with lots of potential!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Insufficient sun for plants that are sun lovers is another reason some plants flop, but I'm with Ken as far as not worrying about leaning. Plants know up and down (gravity, I think) regardless of the soil angle.

I have western plants that like dry soil in a steeply sloped area (Agastache rupestris and Penstemon pinifolius have done well, though periodically I lose the Agastache during the winter), though my soil is fine sandy loam, and this probably wouldn't work in clay. I expect that yarrow and Nepeta would work here as would tap rooted plants like Baptisia or baby's breath. Creeping thyme might make a good groundcover for between the other plants. I am not sure how successful daisies would be - around here they seem to like average amounts of water.

Boday's suggestion of making mini-terraces would give you much more flexibility as to what you could grow here. I might also make the bed a bit wider from where it turns the corner and goes down the hill. Adding a soaker hose would also make it easier to keep this area from drying out.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

I'll second the suggestions you've already received and offer a few additional ones of my own for a full-sun area. Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln' is a dwarf ornamental grass that requires zero maintenance, is untroubled by pests & forms graceful plumes. Give it a haircut with pruning shears every spring & you're all set.

Coreopsis/tickseed 'Zagreb' is a sun lover that is another reliable, low maintenance performer that provides plenty of sunny blooms on airy, fern-like foliage.

A mid-late season bloomer, Phlox paniculata/tall garden phlox performs well where I am, attracts pollinators & is available in many bloom colors. Campanula/bellflower, Stokesia laevis/Stokes aster or Platycodon grandiflora/balloon flower would add some blue for contrast. Artemesia/silver mound would offer additional color contrast.

Euphorbia polychroma/cushion spurge is a nice, low, mounding accent plant that's been completely care- & maintenance-free in my garden the past 25+ years.

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

It would be fairly easy to put some decent-sized (but easily movable) rocks across the bed to the right of your circle in the second picture. That would let you "terrace" that level somewhat as suggested.

Then I'd think about a Little Lime hydrangea (or Quick Fire, or some other paniculata, but I can't tell how much depth you have for something bigger) where you've drawn the circle, a clematis behind it, and flowers to the left and right (going down the hill). Yes, the Little Lime will need water, but I don't find that they need that much once established, and I assume you water your lawn.

To the suggestions you already have, I'd add salvia for its early bloom.

• echinaceamaniac
    10 years ago

Gaillardia from seeds
    Echinacea Cheyenne Spirit from seeds

• AdamKR
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all of you... You have all given me some very good ideas.

echinaceamaniac, Love the look that the Gaillardia and Echinacea would bring to the garden! Looks like I might give that one a shot.

gardenweed, I really like the Platycodon grandiflora/balloon flower suggestion, nice large flower and to add some blue in the garden would be awesome!

nhbabs, I like your suggestion of Baptisia as it reminds me of Lupines a little bit. Another one I may think about adding. Thanks!

kato, I love the suggestion of goldsturm rudbeckia. Great color for the garden!

Like I said, thank you all for the great suggestions!!

• crunchpa
    10 years ago

I think a Knockout rose and Walkers Low catmint would be a combo that could work well.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

don't forget the Veronica royal candles! Mine haven't missed a beat in full sun, always looking nice and lush when everything else is looking dry and helpless. Blooms forever.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Asclepias tuberosa can tolerate lots of sun and no water. Long lasting yellow or orange blooms that attract Monarchs and other butterflies and hummingbirds. Easy to start from seed or get established plants from many online sources. Disease resistant and doesn't reseed the way some natives can.

Martha

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer