Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A very cool annual or maybe perennial.....

Posted by aachenelf z5 Mpls, MN (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 17:20

if you're in a warmer climate. Cardoon or Cynara cardunculus.

This is actually a very poor specimen compared to what they can look like. Mine are growing in the worst possible soil in a Blvd garden. A few weeks ago they were trampled to death by a dog, but are rebounding. I recently saw some of these used as accent plants in a public planting and they were magnificent - easily 3 feet across and a couple of feet tall.

To make them even more appealing, they're edible because they're related to artichokes. In this case, you eat the leaf ribs when they get large enough.

So, has anyone tried these? Next year I'll work them into my perennial beds for sure.

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A very cool annual or maybe perennial.....

hey kevin..

i have bird strewn thistle all over my 5 acres.. and the thought that somehow.. you are going to 'work them in' .. cracks me up no end ...

good luck with all that .. lol ...

ken

ps: and that is the curse of large acreage.. you just cant hold up the personal promise.. to deadhead them.. before the finches get to them ... or perhaps.. there are sterile ones????

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I've seen them used in large pots with other annuals. Stunning! I didn't know they were edible, though, so I think I'll have to try some. Thanks for the information.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 22:41

I love Cardoons. On the link is a pic of some I cooked and a recipe.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Remy's Recipes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here