Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mutant delphinium

Posted by twrosz Z3 Ab. (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 17:24

Nice to see these flowers produced on one stem of my favorite white delphinium. I believe the plant is healthy and not something caused by aster yellows, I haven't seen any of that in my yard for two years now, thankfully! I guess it could also be a seedling and that will be determined when I dig and remove that portion to grow on its own. The mom produces exceedingly few seeds, though her children can be rather remarkable.

Terrance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mutant delphinium

Here's the mother plant ... she requires dividing, though has not been touched in 6 or 7 years and has chugged along with just a sprinkle of fertilizer each spring ... her spikes will again be larger when she's given more attention.

o

One advantage you cold zone gardeners have is killer delphiniums! There are delphinium varieties that look somewhat like that - i.e. greenish flowers. I'd be inclined to save the seeds from that, plant them, and see what you get next year....

o

wow, that's gorgeous!

o

woodyoak ... yes, delphiniums do very well in this climate with our generally very pleasant moderate summer temperatures and low humidity. I've grown hundreds of delphiniums over the years, though gave them up due to the staking issue, but have held onto this one as it usually stays upright no matter the weather.

Thanks a2zmom, I do think it's pretty darn gorgeous myself :)

o

Incredible twrosz! That is breathtaking. Now if you have any extra seeds hanging around come this fall....... ;).

o

I'm dumbstruck that is so beautiful!

OK, note to self: White Delph on must have list for next spring.

Kevin

o

Wow..they are beautiful! What's the variety?

o

The black eyes really make that one. Absolutely gorgeous. And I LOVE your mutant!

o

Today, I removed this section of plant and indeed it's a mutation and not a seedling, so that's kinda cool. I potted and will tend it before setting out when it becomes established.

bellarosa, the mother plant is a self sown seedling and a nice surprise, as I hadn't grown any white delphiniums prior.

rouge, I'll drop you an email sometime soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here