Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happened to my Mercury Rising Coreopsis

Posted by msrose zone8TX (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 17:26

Mercury Rising is a recent purchase. This is what it looked like when I first planted it.

photo frontbed_MercuryRisingCoreopsis_zps15efcd13.jpg

It took a break from blooming and now that it's starting up again, I'm seeing blooms like this. The edges look white in the picture, but it's actually yellow. Is this normal or did it revert to something else?

photo mercuryrising_zpsc0221057.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happened to my Mercury Rising Coreopsis

Seems the color in the Big Bang series change according to the temperature. The cooler it is, the redder the flowers are. The warmer the temps, the more yellow or white they'll be. I didn't think it to be the case with Murcury Rising, I just got that one myself but hasn't bloomed for me yet. But I know others in the series do this.

Karen

o

Thanks, Karen. I'll be interested to watch it now and see how it changes.

o

I haven't see any yellow in mine but I do see some white frosting around the edges on some of the blooms.

My overall color tends to look more purple in the heat.

I'm happy to report it returned after the very harsh winter I experienced.

o

The variety called 'Red Satin' holds its color better in heat and doesn't flop like 'Mercury Rising.'

o

Is the reason Red Satin doesn't flop because it's shorter or stronger?

o

I think it might be the stems. Also the foliage is finer so maybe that helps too.

o

Both 'Red Satin' and 'Mercury Rising' were hybridized by the same person (Darrell Probst). According to the Walter's Garden site:

Compared to ‘Mercury Rising’, this plant (Red Satin) has finer threadleaf foliage, solid red flowers that do not become “frosted” in the heat, and a tighter mounding habit.

o

My Mercury Rising doesn't flop. One of my favorites. That color change is normal for Mercury Rising, you will get both the solid blooms and the yellow edged ones on a plant. Mine always has more solid, though. The yellow ones are few for me.

Now, if you are talking flopping, Red Shift is a sprawler, for sure! It separates in the center and looks like it's growing in a waterfall form! Still, beautiful, though. I think I might cut it back next year to see if I can keep it a bit shorter.

o

"Mercury Rising' Doesn't flop for me either. although it is a sprawler. Here it is last year, along with Coreopsis 'Zagreb', Gaillardia 'Burgundy', Lobelia 'Queen Victoria' and Salvia 'Lady in Red'.

o

A2zmom...do you mind if I use the above picture as my cover photo on Facebook? It's lovely! :-)

Thanks so much in advance!

o

Giraffe, I'd be honored!

o

Gosh, I never saw the picture. I'm just getting the little box with an "x" in it.

Never mind. Now I see it :)

This post was edited by msrose on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 17:45

o

Thanks so much, A2zmom! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here