Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Great garden year so far......

Posted by tgs.ontz5a (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 17:41

After a very slow start this has become a great gardening year. My garden is approaching ten years and this is the best year yet. So far weeds are minimal and rain plentiful. Earwigs, slugs, and japanese beetles have failed to show up. I have a ton of desirable plants (echinacea, lobelia, rudbeckia 'Indian Summer' are just a few) reseeding. Things are absolutely flourishing. I am located in Markham, Ontario where we experienced a brutal Winter and devastating ice storm which claimed many of our shrubs and lost part of our tree canopy. Despite that or perhaps because of it this year is turning out to be a stellar gardening year. Is anyone else experiencing this? Am I speaking too soon?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Great garden year so far......

My apologies, a very similiar thread was started on June 30th by njoasis and above post should have been posted there. Please reply to that post.

o

Well after posting the last message I wanted to read through the thread posted (I thought) by njoasis but I cannot for the life of me find it now. What the heck?

o

Well, even though we got a harsher "winter" than usual, that only means it snowed twice and was a bit colder than normal. So, unfortunately it seems like all of our bugs and slugs are still quite happy to live in my yard, and they are munching! I think they love the hibiscus the most, which is ironically also one of my favorites.

But right now I do think is one of the prettiest times for me. Plants are almost all blooming now, and the hottest part of the summer hasn't hit us yet that makes things start to look parched.

o

I have to agree. This season is zooming along gangbusters. Perennials and annuals alike are exploding.
Ain't it grand?

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 14:21

Agreed!!

Although the mosquitos are out in full force with all the moisture we've had, but I'll take that over having to run the sprinklers regularly ($$$), especially since I think the plants respond better to rainfall opposed to watering from the tap -- they just seem lusher after a good rain. Plus, the toads are out in good numbers too -- lots of teeny ones this year, hoping they will set up house permanently and grow into big, fat bug eatin' machines next year.

o

Yes, I also have a lot of toads and dragonflies too. Love them in the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here