Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perennials to pair with roses

Posted by prairie_love z3/4 ND (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 28, 09 at 17:53

Hi,

I have two new flower beds that "feature" roses. I'm looking for perennials to pair with them that will complement but not overshadow. Here are pictures of the roses in question.

This is Morden Fireglow. It's an orangey-pinky red. It starts out glowing and fades to pinkish. I was thinking of putting geranium Biokovo with it, but the ones I bought aren't blooming any longer. White Clips campanula, but maybe that's too much contrast?
Morden Fireglow rose

This is Morden Hope for Humanity. It's an awesome deep, dark red. It looks fabulous with a bright yellow daylily (can't recall the name of that offhand), but DH (who is the rose guy) thinks the bright yellow detracts attention away for HfH. He's probably right.
Hope for Humanity roses

Thanks!
Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perennials to pair with roses

May Night Salvia, moonbeam coreopsis, and Helen Von Stein Lamb's ear would complement most rose colors and provide some great textual variation.

o

I don't know your zone well enough, but I like nepeta. I moved my geranium 'Rozanne' to the feet of my KO roses and threw in some annuals for now... purple petunias and purple ageratum. I like the purple/blue blooms together with the red tones. I also planted one white phlox 'David' to see how it would look en masse with the roses. The white blooms create a nice backdrop contrast for the deep colors of the red tones. This is all too newly planted to have much of an impact, but I believe it's going to be a good combination.

Cameron

o

For companion plants with roses I use catmint (Walkers Low), hardy geraniums (Brookside, Jolly Bee), sweet alyssum (carpet of snow), iris, phlox (David), peonies, Russian sage, lambs ear, delphiniums, bell flowers, lillies (asiatic & oriental).

Walkers Low and roses:
Photobucket

Delphiniums and roses:
Photobucket

Russian sage, sweet alyssum, peony & roses:
Photobucket

Phlox & roses:
Photobucket

o

Thank you for the ideas! (and sorry for the delay, I'm having internet issues).

May Night - I love MN, but I have it *everywhere* (maybe because it goes with everything, lol).

Moonbeam is supposed to be hardy here but I have not been able to get it to come back, nor have many of my friends. It's been a huge disappointment to me.

I'm not usually a fan of lamb's ears, so hadn't thought of it, but you're right, that might go VERY nicely.

Nepeta, again I have several places. I do like it, it seems a bit tall for the roses, but I just saw some smaller varieties, maybe I will give them a try (Kit Kat was one, can't remember the other name).

I've read about Rozanne a lot here on Perennials, but haven't tried it. It's on my list of "must try", so maybe one of the rose beds is a good place to try it!

The Russian sage and white phlox look great too.

Beautiful pictures, definitely has me thinking. Thank you all for ideas!

Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here