Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Glory flopping around too much

Posted by Gardener103 Maryland (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 17:53

Hello,
I have a potted mature morning glory plant that is doing very well, but it's getting so big and bushy that its flopping around.

The pot is fairly large, and there's more than enough soil.
Currently I have it supported with wooden stakes zip tied to various branches, but it doesn't work well at all. Looking at it right now, it looks very chaotic.

Could anybody give me suggestions for how to hold it back or support it? I have used a large pole tied to the whole plant, but by doing so, it becomes constricted and shoved together. There are just so many branches it always tangles up and the leaves and flowers mash up against each other.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Glory flopping around too much

Do you have something for it to climb up? They love to climb and can really take off then.

Placing the pot next to a trellis or fence of some kind would make it very happy:) just give it alittle help by gently wrapping the ends to it to get it started.

o
RE: Morning Glory flopping around too much

• Posted by babera 5a (Montana) (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 18:40

trim it to a manageable size. I tend to whack on mine all the time if the long runners get too out of hand. Mine responds nicely to a good pruning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here