Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
svtterminator

Queen Victoria Lobelia help

svtterminator
9 years ago

Just planted a queen victoria lobelia in my "rain garden". The nursery had it in a very tiny pot and the plant was slumped over. I planted it and they said over time it will grow up right. I'm just curious as to why it's growing in a very curvy fashion.

I tried staking it. Any advice?

Comments (9)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Pot-bound plants are suffering, often from lack of room for roots to develop naturally. Were the roots growing horizontally in the pot when you removed the plant? If they were, did you tease them loose before planting so they could begin growing vertically once in the ground?

Most plants have an amazing capability to self-correct once they're in the ground if given sufficient time. It may take a season or two before yours starts looking like it has adjusted to growing where it's planted.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Useful picture.

Some perennials, once they've grown like that can't be straightened out, e.g. by staking, for that year.

In my experience, that goes for many perennials, including common lobelias, veronicas and campanulas.

Re your plants, true the currently upright portions of the stems, given the proper growing conditions, will grown more or less straight up, but I assume the "over time" means next year.

Given good growing conditions, I don't tend to need to stake perennial lobelias at all.

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Agree...it's root bound.

I would cut it back. That way it's energy can go towards forming new growth and roots, vs trying to keep the scraggly stems alive. It's chances of surviving will be greatly increased. You will see new growth sprouting much sooner this way.

If your temps are high, be sure to keep it watered good.

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, I loosened the root ball before planting. It was quite easy since the nursery had the bottom of the pot submerged in water.

How deep should I prune it from the ground?

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just pruned it so it's about 5 inches above ground. Just to confirm are they plants ok with standing water??

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Have had no reason to try it in standing water (for any length of time), but I'd doubt it SVT.

Our local wild Lobelia cardinalis is listed as a bog plant, but the parent of the garden cardinal plant (e.g. Lobelia fulgens 'Queen Victoria') is apparently central American L. fulgens.

I do sometimes put some plants in pots in water in a bucket overnight; that is if I'd just let them wilt in hot weather.

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Sunnyborders. I planted these in my rain garden which gets sump pump and gutter water. I have a high water table so the water is pretty excessive. Hope they survive.

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As winter approaches does anyone have advice on what I should do to protect my Queen Victorias? Since pruning them they have been growing phenomenally.

I've read online these plants don't do well in winter

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wanted to follow up on my last post. Any advice before winter approaches on care for the queen victoria? I pruned them and now they are uprig by and doing well.