Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwyet1

cut back Goldenrod or Yarrow???

kwyet1
14 years ago

Does anyone know if these can be cut back and still produce a flower?? My Goldenrod has formed a 'tall green wall' in front a clump of tall (but shorter) colorful flowers. I like the Goldenrod there...but will pull it unless I can 'cut it back'...does anyone know???

Thanks,

Linda

Comments (11)

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Linda, I sure hope so! I cut all my goldenrod back by about half this past weekend. I can't remember if I've ever cut it back before, but we've had so much rain they have gotten way too tall. I'm going to guess that it will act like the fall-blooming asters that I cut back by about half this time of year. Hopefully others will chime in. I'm not good about keeping records, but I really think I've cut it back before and have had flowers.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

It may be too late for cutting back if you hope to get bloom.

• jjt1704
    14 years ago

It should be fine with a little later bloom period. I do it every year, usually in June though. I have standard run of the mill (read: weedy) golden rod and I cut it to keep the height in check with some of my ornamental grasses. It never has failed to produce yet.

• kwyet1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much....it just never occurred to me to cut back the goldenrod before. I will do it as soon as it stops raining (again).
    Does anyone know if I can cut back the Yarrow early in the season (I know it's too late now...it's blossoming). It is a beautiful cherry pink and adds nice color and I would like to use it in other areas of the garden, but it gets as tall as the goldenrod!
    Thanks again,
    Linda

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Yes, the yarrow can be cut back by half to keep it shorter and bushier. Do this in late May, early June. I believe you can cut it back to the ground after blooming to keep the foliage neater, and it may even send out small blooms again.

• terrene
    14 years ago

I routinely pinch or cut back the really tall species of Goldenrod (Solidago), perennial Helianthus, and Asters. They end up being a bit shorter and blooming a bit later. This seems to help prevent them from flopping as much. I usually do this in June, but early July is probably not too late, especially if you have a longer growing season.

In the wild part of the yard, I've observed that these species are grazed on by deer, so they are probably well-adapted to this type of pruning.

Unfortunately this Spring, I've had tendonitis in wrists and elbows, so I haven't cut back much. Only did a little pinching. The Helianthus maximiliani will probably end up being 10 feet fall and flop all over everything. 8-O

• kwyet1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks,
    It never occurred to me to cut my Helianthus Max. back either....that would be great.
    Thanks again,
    Linda

ps....still wondering about the Yarrow

• anitamo
    14 years ago

kwyet1...Hi. I answered your question about the yarrow, you must have missed it. :)

• kwyet1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi anitamo,
    Yes, I DID miss it!! Thanks for pointing it out to me...and thank you for answering it! (now I can't wait for next year to try it out! Ha!)

• HU-895136755
    4 years ago

Can my Golderod be cut back now.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    4 years ago

If you are in a cold climate it will be looking a little rough and can be cut back.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!