Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beautifulreddahlias

Help me find my plants zone!!!

Hello All!

I recently bought a Hebe Raspberry Ripple and a Hebe Strawberries and Cream at a nursury. Whenever I buy a new unfamiliar plant I always try to find out as much as I can about the plant. When I searched these two beauties I was suprised to find hardly anything on them. I was hoping someone out there would know a little something about them and what zone they are. Specificaly the types I have. I found some on Hebe's and found that they are generally not hardy in my zone 6. Please if you could help me to figure out if I need to bring these in over winter or not?! Thanks!!!!

Beautifulreddahlias

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i dont understand the premise ..

a hebe ... is a hebe.. is a hebe ...

why would flower color change zone info???

it is not uncommon.. when you get the newest and brightest.. in the plant world.. that searchable info is lacking...

good luck at the link

ken..

ps: i am proud to say.. that is the most times i ever typed hebe in one sentence.. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

The patent application for hybrid hebe Raspberry Ripple (Tullyraspb) states hardy to 5 C/40F.

Same description for hebe Strawberries and Cream (Tullystraw).

UV.edu suggests for trying to winter indoors: "Sunny and cool conditions as can be provided in an unheated sunporch or guest room, minimally heated entry halls, or a cool greenhouse. Temperatures should remain between 45 and 55 degrees F ideally. These cool temperatures help prevent insect problems as an added benefit. The goal with sunny and cool is to keep plants from growing, or growing very slowly, most the winter. They are provided a rest period, and so are low maintenance. "

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

This is Hebe ' Nicola's Blush'. It has been through several winters and survives temperatures below 0c for a few days every year. Raspberry Ripple is considered hardy here so I think it could take temps below 5c occasionally. Ken - Different species/hybrids of Hebe are variously hardy. They are very widely grown here as the temperate climate suits them well.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

in my much less temperate area ... z5 MI .. as compared to floras UK 8/9 ..

i have found a lot of 'claims' as to extended viability when talking about one zone difference.. from the norm..

to be a lot of hogwash ... marketing hype.. if you will ...

and perhaps .. from the other direction.. its not that the plant wont do it.. but mother nature.. is know to .. every few years.. slip in a winter that goes one zone colder.. and then.. instead of getting a hebe to tolerate one more zone.. they cant cope with 2 zones cooler.

and that is usually the winter.. right after.. in your own opinion.. and after years of worry.. it achieves perfection.. lol ... and it is winter killed ...and that used to really piss me off.. lol

good luck to OP ... maybe you will get lucky.. and maybe mother nature wont let you ...

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I wish you luck too. I got a beautiful variegated Hebe many years ago, and hebe dead within about 6 weeks. Pretty sure I watered him to death.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

Hebe 'Mrs. Winder' has managed dips into the low 20's overnight without dieback the last few winters here - with the protection of an old linen tablecloth tossed over :)

It's often said the larger the leaf and more showy the flower, the more tender the hebe...I haven't tested that.

You could treat as an annual in colder zones if the form fits your design plan, or take cuttings, much like you might a fuchsia or zonal geranium.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Yes - they do root easily from cuttings but unlike fuchsias and pelargoniums they don't grow very fast so it might be tricky to get a good sized shrub soon enough to use in one season. Bringing it undercover in the winter might be worth a try - but it would need to be somewhere really cool and light, not inside the house.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

I would be very suspect about the hardiness of any hebe in zone 6 but more specifically, the two mentioned. These are speciosa hybrids and IME, speciosa is one of the least hardy of any hebe species. You could winter them over in a sunroom or greenhouse but as an evergreen shrub, they will need light regardless of temperature.

FWIW, Strawberries and Cream is assigned a zone 9 rating by at least one North American supplier. Based on my experience with these types of hybrids in my rather mild, maritime zone 8b climate, I'd say that was a very reasonable rating.

• beautifulreddahlias
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great info!!!! I will be potting and overwintering in the house.