Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thunder and Lightning

Posted by rouge21 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 18:29

I do like "Mars Midget" but I was a bit wary of trying the variegated "Thunder and Lightning" as in the nurseries it never seemed to have many blooms. And last year when I planted the two of them they didnt really do much. And so I have been pleasantly surprised at their floriferousness thus far in their second year. As well they are quite compact. There are a few leaves here and there that seem to revert to green but not many so far.

Here is a picture I took today of one of them:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thunder and Lightning

I'm always drawn to variegated foliage and the reddish purple blooms are a nice contrast. What is the zone rating?

o

It is advertised as hardy to zone 4 (close to your z3; maybe some extra protection might get it through your winter).

o

What is this, a scabiosa? Beautiful color, and goes great with that gorgeous purple next to it. What is that, some kind of veronica?

Dee

o

You are correct Dee. It is a Knautia/Scabiosa.

And good pick-up on the Veronica "Royal Candles" barely in the picture

o

Thanks rouge. What a fantastic color combination - was it on purpose, lol? My best combinations are usually by mistake!

;)
Dee

o

Of course it was on purpose Dee (I say this as I look down and see I have on mismatched socks!).

This post was edited by rouge21 on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 19:54

o

UPDATE:

Here is this same plant almost a year later. It is very large and floriferous:

This post was edited by rouge21 on Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 10:14

o

• Posted by amna 6 (MA) (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 10:14

So pretty!

o

As came up before, Rouge, the species, Knautia macedonica, can be a very bad (invasive) seeder, at least in my experience.

I'm assuming that these small cultivars are much more tame.

o

Looks wonderful. I think I weeded out my Mars Midget. Maybe the variegated foliage would be a good replacement as wouldn't mistake it for a weed.

I deadhead mine regularly to keep it from seeding.

o

Riuge, what type of soil is it planted in? I've never had any luck overwintreing any scabiosas/knautias. Yours is fabulous.

o

Pretty. I've gotten a number of them in at the nursery, but have yet to bring one home. Knautia tends to reseed with abandon here, so I am also a bit deterred by that factor, lol.

Do you find yours reseeds much? I suppose it isn't sterile...

How much does it revert? I noticed a lot of plants from one of our suppliers (not the best plants in general) reverted a lot.
CMK

o

Lol I thought this had to do with the storms we had last night!

I really like this plant...reminds me of my Clifford Moore.

o

• Posted by catkin UDSA Zone 8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 17:25

It sure looks bright and happy! Mine hasn't bloomed yet.

AND...it sure has attracted a huge butterfly! :wink wink:

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 18:43

I like this!

o

I have had two of these plants for 2 years and have seen no seedlings in either year.

The base soil is clay but I have added lots of organic materials.

I am never quite sure of variegation but I am pleased with the many flowers on this plant.

o

It has definitely gotten bigger. Very pretty plant. Some of the plants I planted last year have tripled in size. What will they look like next year? Kind of scary lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here