Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vaherbmom

moving perennials in the heat

vaherbmom
10 years ago

I have some plants I'd really like to move around now while I can see them rather than wait for fall when they've started to die back.

What cautions should I observe when trying to move perenns in the heat of July? I usually am afraid to do it and do most of my planting and moving in spring or fall.

Also have a rose and aster plant someone gave me--have been afraid to put them in the ground at this time of year.

thanks for any help

Comments (13)

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

I'm not in your zone, so your mileage may vary, but I move things all year. i'm the world's worst visualizer, so I also like to move when i can see what I'm moving. Plus there's just too much to do in spring and fall to get all my moves done.

Watering is important, and shading from direct sunlight for a while helps too. I have a bunch of wire frames from election signs. They're easy to stick in the ground around a newly-moved plant. Then I cover them with burlap or an old sheet on sunny days.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

If you can't wait for fall before moving things, just be sure to shade them after the move with a laundry basket, open umbrella or lawn chair so they aren't frying in the sun. Another tip would be to set a recycled gallon jug at the base of the plant, fill it with water and poke a pinhole (yes, with a push pin) an inch from the bottom on the corner opposite the handle. This way the transplant will get a steady, gentle stream of water to help it get established in its new location.

As an alternative to moving things now, and what I'd recommend as an experienced gardener, is that you make plant markers from recycled containers. A paint pen (not a Sharpie marker) won't fade or wash away and if you mark the plants you want to move they'll be easily identifiable later in the season when moving day rolls around.

Good luck!

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    10 years ago

Only thing I would add is pick a cloudy (or part cloudy) day if possible. :)

• vaherbmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks, all

I have used plastic milk crates for shade before but that was with small plants from the nursery . . . most of the plants I want to move are several feet tall!

will wait for a cloudy day when rain is expected, thank you

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I broke my rule and moved 2 plants the other day. Usually I never do this at this time of the year. I watered the plants first, dug a huge hunk of soil with the plants, replanted them and watered again. They didn't even wilt and I didn't shade them or anything. I guess it's possible.

Kevin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

What cautions should I observe when trying to move perenns in the heat of July?

==>> yeah.. dont do it ...

hey kevin.. didnt you just have 3 weeks of rain... might not your plants be able to handle it better up there in snow country as compared to z7 VA???

sure.. go do it... the worse that can happen.. is they shut down.. and you defeat your wish to 'see' them ...

with proper watering.. i doubt you will kill them

proper planting time is really all about making the process failsafe for newbs ....

you can do it anytime you want.. but do cancel that vacation... so you can stay home a TLC them ...

live and learn .... you can answer next year.. and tell all ...

good luck

ken

• terrene
    10 years ago

It really depends on the plant. This is an ideal time to move bulbs and Irises as they go dormant. Pretty soon all the bulb foliage will disappear and I can't remember where they're growing. Just moved a big clump of the little lemon yellow narcissus yesterday. I had to go upstairs on the desktop and look at some pictures to remember which daffs were growing where. I usually give these guys a sprinkle of organic bulb fertilizer at transplant.

Some perennials such as daylilies and hostas can be moved any time. I just moved a bunch of hosta and planted one nursery pot of hosta that has been sitting around for a month yesterday also. Sprinkled some organic granular fertilizer around each plant, top dress with compost, and will keep them well watered.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

Ken

We just went around 2 weeks with no rain, but it did rain the day after I moved the plants. I'm not saying one should move plants this time of year, but it just happened to work in my case. I guess it kind of shows no rules are set in stone when it comes to gardening. Everyone has to make their own educated decisions.

Oh yes, the plants I moved were a huge hosta and a veronica just setting buds. I'll see if the buds continue to develop.

Kevin

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

I think it all depends on how undisturbed the rootball is. Cutting the flowers off first helps, too. Saves plant energy.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

I think it all depends on how undisturbed the rootball is. Cutting the flowers off first helps, too. Saves plant energy.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

If I have to move something in the heat of summer, I dig down past the root ball on all sides. I then lift the plant out with as much dirt as possible. This way (hopefully) the roots stay mostly undisturbed.

In the hole I've dug for the transplant, I pour a gallon or more of water. I then place the plant into the hole, making sure that it is buried at the same height as it was before I dug it up. I then fill in with dirt and absolutely drench it again with water. I also make sure to give it extra water every day until the rains pick up again. It's a pain...that's why I try not to move things in July and August. Sometime you just have to, though.

If the plant gets floppy, I cut off any opened and unopened blooms. I don't usually need to do this if I keep up the watering, though.

Good luck!

• pippi21
    10 years ago

flower-frenzy..do you have any photos of your sombero series of echinaceas? Are these a new variety?

Boday...the Snowcap shastas..were they once named Snow Lady or are these two different varieties. I used to have Snow Lady shastas one year and they were about 18 in .tall but didn't know then to try to collect/save seeds. My former neighbor had "Snow Princess" which is about same height. When she passed away, the landlord allowed me to pull the seed heads when they were drying and I have something to remember my neighbor by each year.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

This debate comes up every season. Of course it is preferable to transplant/plant in the cooler spring or fall but as others have stated in this thread it can be done very successfully even during the inevitable hot, dry days of summer. I am way to impatient to wait for the best time but It has been my experience that for perennials, taking all of the root ball and hopefully (much) more + lots of water on-going will lead to a very high rate of success. If you can wait till the Fall then good for you, but I can't.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 22:31

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz