Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Echibeckia Summerina 'Orange'

Went out to the garden shops just for a looksee (Ha :) as most of them now have a lot of half price sales on. This plant is new to me anyone else growing this one, tell me your experiences with it.
A couple of other things fell into my cart as I trundled along, I've had Veronica 'Royal Candles' for a number of years, I love this plant, I also have 'Giles van Hees' and today I picked up 'Red Fox' to add to my collection, is there a white spicata? when I saw the blue flowers on the Ceratostigmas I grabbed one of those to replace the one I lost and I also picked up a Boltonia 'Jim Crockett' and some 'Elfin Thyme' to plant in my flagstone path.
My last purchase was a 'Chilean Jasmine' vine, iffy here but should do alright in my outside garden room I can overwinter some pretty tender plants here all in all it was a good afternoon, love those half price sales :). I forgot the nice full pot of Dianthus 'Raspberry Surprise' and the cute little Leucanthemum 'Lacrosse' still sitting behind the seat in the truck until 5 minutes ago LOL.

Annette

This post was edited by aftermidnight on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 2:35

Comments (10)

• debbiecz3
    9 years ago

Have not seen this echibeckia but have heard of it; is it like a orange /yellow coneflower?
    There is a white spike speedwell, called icicle I believe. I didn't snap it up sometime ago when I saw it and haven't come across it again. I love love Royal Candles, Red Fox is nice too but more subtle.
    Boltonia is one I would love but no room!
    I've found a few sale plants that had to come home with me: a primula, a dark pink dwarf aster, Moonshine Coreopsis, a pale yellow globe flower, Angelina sedum, and a variegated Fallopia that I do not trust not to be invasive so will grow in a container. I just can't resist those sales even though finding a place for these plants will be a challenge!

• linlily
    9 years ago

Wow, Annette. Lucky you! I just looked up Echibeckia Summerina Orange and it seems that is a cross between a Rudbeckia and an Echinacea. Pacific Plug and Liner company is the grower. I'd never find these around here. Please let us know how this plant does for you and if you find it hardy in your zone. I know that there has been a lot of people complaining about losing the newer Echies and I also read that many Rudbeckias tend to be annuals or short lived perennials. How this cross performs should be really interesting. Were there buds or flowers on the plant when you purchased it? I can't wait to hear how it does for you.

Linda

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linlily, I went out and snapped a pic, not the best as it's nearly dusk here. The tags says it grows 20-24" high, spread 16-18", doesn't give a zone. Looks to be quite a compact plant, it's covered with flower buds from top to bottom, one of Heritage Perennials offerings. Closeup of the flower to follow.

Annette

• thrills
    9 years ago

Also wonder if it gets the mites that plague some echs.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Closeup of the flower.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

The Echebeckia looks so intriguing! Keep us posted on its quirks & performance. Another Veronica fan here & like Icicle as much as Red Fox - pretty together, too. Sounds like you enjoyed a pleasant day hunting & gathering an interesting assortment. Well done & thanks for sharing!

Two-for-one sale starts today at a favorite local nursery where gallons are the smallest sizes. Really need to weed today, but the siren sale song is calling to me...

Here is a link that might be useful: Icicle

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    9 years ago

I would have liked to see how the other "siblings" of this cross expressed their echinacea heritage before they selected this version to propagate. They look to me exactly like standard ruds to me (not counting vigor/bloom time/etc).

Standard ruds get asters yellow just fine. Below is a shot i took at a public garden a year or two ago of an infected rud.

{{gwi:254588}}

• linlily
    9 years ago

Thank you for the nice pictures, Annette. They look more like a Rudbeckia than an Echie to me. Love the color. I hope you will continue to let us know how the plant does for you in the future.

You are so lucky to have a garden center that sells some interesting plants. Everything around here seems to sell the same old stuff. If I want anything really different, I have to mail order or to try seeds. Trades have worked out well too.

Linda

Original Author
    9 years ago

.....one month later, now it's a wait and see if it's winter hardy here. I have lost a few Echinaceas when we've had a really wet winter. I never been a fan of orange flowers but so far I'm loving this one. Picture taken in the rain.
    Annette

• linlily
    9 years ago

Just beautiful, Annette. I love the bright colors on the flowers.

Hmmmm, now to find a space to put it when I can find one.

Linda