Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How soon can you divide mums?

Posted by frank325 Z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 08 at 18:40

If I buy a couple mums this fall, in the spring would I be able to divide them into at least 2, so I'd have 4 by next fall? Or can you not successfully propagate mums that will only be about a year old by the time it's done?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How soon can you divide mums?

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 10, 08 at 23:08

Mums root very easily from soft wood cuttings.
You may be able to divide them in the spring, but you will fors ure be able to start new plants ...if they live over the winter.
Linda c

o

Soft wood cuttings in the spring? If so, how large would they be by the fall (compared to, say, a new one you'd buy at the store), and would they bloom in the fall already? Don't know how fast growing they are.

o

MANY commercial mums are NOT hardy .... ergo .. as Linda noted ... they do NOT come back after winter ...

if you cut a piece of mum .. with two sets of leaves .... and strip the bottom set .... and put them in a glass of water ... or in damp potting media.. and cover with a baggie .... they will root relatively fast ... i am sure if you put PROPAGATING MUMS into a search engine.. you will get millions of hits ...

proper pruning of a single stalk plant ... requires that you shear it back about 3 times a season ... to create the bush we all love ... rather than a one flower stalk ... every time you do this... you can root what you cut off ... YOU SHOULD TRY THIS RIGHT NOW WITH ANY MUMS YOU HAVE.. JUST TO EXPERIMENT .... but you might not know if yours is hardy ...

many years back ... i MAIL ORDERED about 25 varieties for spring delivery ..... they were under a buck each ... YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY THIS ... but i cant remember the name of the place ... maybe Huff's .... but they appear to be out of business ...

good luck

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here