Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heliopsis-will it tolerate winter/spring wet soil?

Posted by ruth_mi z5MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 18:55

I have an area "out back" that can be under a few inches of water for two or three weeks in spring. In summer, I don't water there (except recent plantings), and the soil can get very dry...as in deep cracks.

So far, chelone is the best grower there. Daylilies do OK, and I have Becky daisy on the edge where it does fine. I'd like to add some summer-blooming perennials. Monarda doesn't like the winter wet, nor does Echinacea.

I was thinking of Heliopsis. Does anyone grow it where it has to tolerate wet? Any other suggestions?

It gets about 5 - 6 hours of sun. Except for the water issues, it's good (former woodland) soil, on the heavy/clay side.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heliopsis-will it tolerate winter/spring wet soil?

Ruth, I have Heliopsis 'Prairie Sunset' growing down at the end of my garden near the river. It gets about 5+ feet tall and often is flooded when the tidal marsh river we live on floods. Last year the October tropical storm inundated half of the yard, but the Heliopsis came back. It's in full sun and doesn't get much extra watering, though it's probably thriving because of the morning mists that come off the river. We keep it in a chicken wire cage to protect it from "Ratty", the river muskrat that loves to chew on all my favorite flowers.

o

Molie,

Thanks - that's great to know!

o

I don't have experience with standing water. Heliopsis does well with winter wet and that amount of sun. Most that I can think of that would not mind standing water would be unhappy with dry in summer. If you could dig trenches and mound up the soil using the dirt from the trench.Would help protect crowns. Maybe use straw when ground begins to dry. Mulch is to expensive for me and straw goes a long way. I also so have a no water area. Plants have been loving the straw. Other wise there are some pretty grasses that might work. Maybe tall verbena or rudbeckia hurtia or something that reseeds easily. Collect and save seed over winter. Then next spring scatter right after water goes down. Just pick things that flower in first year after sowing and can handle dry in summer. Might work anyway best of luck to you.

o

patty - Thanks for the additional feedback, It's helpful to know about the winter wet and amount of sun.

o

I have some Heliopsis 'Summer Sun' growing in a well drained position, and it is a vigorous perennial and after a few years has started reseeding like crazy. Not sure about wetlands though.

Molie - "Ratty" the muskrat, how cute.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here