Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Transplanting volunteers

docmom_gw
10 years ago

My purple cone flowers were very generous in reseeding this year. In some cases almost too much. They've planted themselves quite close to some other perennials that I'm hoping will expand to fill space, and also too close to each other. They don't have room to grow where they are. So, I'd like to move them or pot them up to give as gifts in the fall. I know mid summer is not the ideal time to be uprooting anything. But, if I put them into size able pots with high quality container mix and some topsoil, and keep them in a shady spot with regular watering, do you think they'd do OK? Here's a picture of some of them next to a salvia.

Comments (7)

• david883
    10 years ago

I had two heliopsis (one growing in between two rocks) and I dug them up yesterday or the day before. They have big clumps of roots when they mature but little seedlings only have a little root (yeah, one lone root). When I dug them up all the dirt fell off the roots and I just planted them up in some little pots with a equal parts mix of sand, peat moss and garden soil (miracle grow), gave them a good watering and left them in the shade for a day or two and they're doing perfectly fine right now. Just my two cents

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Another 2 cents worth - leave them where they are until later in the season. They aren't going anywhere, they're establishing a root system and if they're moved in fall rather than in the heat of the summer, you'll give them a greater chance of surviving transplanting.

NB - I'm not an expert but all my perennial gardening books recommend transplanting either in spring or fall so the transplants are given optimum conditions to establish a root system. Bottom line seems to be, there's no hurry and there are advantages to waiting.

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

That doesn't look like purple coneflower next to your salvia.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I was thinking the same thing. At least those large ones aren't coneflower, but I'm not sure about the small ones. Maybe, but they sure don't look like any of mine. The leaves are too smooth. Do you grow Monarda anywhere? They kind of remind me of those.

Kevin

This post was edited by aachenelf on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 13:55

• terrene
    10 years ago

I can't tell if the little guys are E. purpurea either, they do look very similar but not quite!

I think your plan to pot up some seedlings and put them in a mostly shady spot will work fine. Echinacea seedlings are pretty durable, but I would be gentle with roots and of course keep them moist and give them a little diluted liquid fertilizer every couple weeks.

I have some Ech seedlings sowed in late May, sprouted throughout June, and will probably plant them out around late August, when it starts to cool down at night. They hopefully will establish and over-winter okay, as long I keep them well-watered.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all your responses. I may have to wait until fall, just because I don't have time to pot hem up. Plus, my husband has been mentioning how nice the yard looks without all my wintersowing pots and jugs sitting around. I guess I will wait for fall and move a bunch of things all ata the same time.

Martha

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz