Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BRUNERA 'jack frost' macrophylla affected by oak tree?

Posted by grandma_gardener_02 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 19:11

We have had some beautiful 'jack frost' macrophylla [your website would not let me enter the common name - BRUNERA - unless I capitalized it] under a very tall oak tree for about 5 years. This last winter didn't help, but it now seems that they have lost their vibrancy - plants not bushing out, small leaves, didn't flower well. Could this be due to some chemical that the oak has put into the soil? I know oak leaves are not good to let accumulate, but we keep the base of the tree totally free of leaves. We have kept branches cut so that the light environment pretty much has stayed the same. Also, have felt like the watering schedule has stayed the same. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BRUNERA 'jack frost' macrophylla affected by oak tree?

I find Brunnera macrophylla 'Jack Frost' to be very long lived and have numbers of plants up to ten or more years old.

It is nowhere near as vigorous as the species, which is also quite a seeder.

As they say, Brunnera does like moist, well-drained, rich soil with lots of organic matter.

Perhaps in that location the soil is now exhausted.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 13:01

It's probably due to the fact it's under a tree, the soil is probably too dry, due to the tree taking much of the moisture combined with the fact it's under the drip line (I'm assuming). Brunnera (all of them, not just Jack Frost) prefer moist soil, they perform quite poorly in drier conditions.

If you really want brunnera in this location, I would suggest digging up and re-planting in a spin-out bag or digging a large hole, lining with plastic (with bottom cut out or large holes for drainage), filling with top-quality soil and replanting. Or, you could use moisture-absorbing crystals (e.g. SoilMoist) mixed into a large, freshly amended planting hole to help get the root system well-established and better able to withstand some dryness. I've used these tricks in the past, and they do work, but it is imperative you offer supplemental moisture if the plants are under the drip line.

o

These are the most pitiful plants I've ever tried to grow. They can't take the heat here. I'm trying a new one called 'Sea Heart' that seems to be doing much better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here