Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samnsarah

July Perennials

Tim
10 years ago

I have several perennials around my house that are in full bloom including butterfly bush, hostas, and these lantanas. The lantanas, (I believe they are Pink Caprice), come back each year on the south side of my garage. They pair nicely with the Pampas Grass peeking around the south-west corner.

{{gwi:255239}}

Comments (14)

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I love your lantanas. Do they attract lots of butterflies or hummers? I planted a few in my butterfly garden this year, but I'm waiting for them to re bloom following deadheading a week or so ago. I don't remember seeing that pale pink shade before. They're so delicate looking. Thanks for sharing.

Marth

This post was edited by docmom on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 8:00

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Nice! Where I am, lantana acts as an annual - would be nice if I could get it to overwinter.

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, this must be a pretty hearty type of lantana. I'm not sure exactly what cultivar these are, but my best guess is Pink Caprice. They produce pale pink and yellow blooms as you can see in the photo, but they bloom profusely and will bloom constantly until frost as long as they are continuously dead-headed.
    I received them as volunteers from a co-worker, and she got hers from a relative in Western Texas. They grow like weeds down there and are often treated as a noxious weed by their county's weed department. My co-worker has been growing them on the south side of her house for over seven years, and they keep coming back in force each Spring. She usually has many volunteers that sprout up in some of her other plants. We're both in zone 6b.
    This is the second year I've had them by my garage. Last year I didn't mulch at all, and we had a couple of nights where the temps dipped dow to zero, but they came back anyway. And, yes, they attract butterflies, especially skippers, and a few humming birds. Here is a photo from last year where a hummer was sipping the nectar from them.

{{gwi:255240}}

{{gwi:255241}}

• BlueBirdPeony
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful pictures. I have grown to appreciate Lantana so much more in recent years. Yours is particularly stunning.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Wow. We are zone 7 and antana are treated as annuals here, but now I think I will move some from pots to an empty spot on the south side of the house and keep my fingers crossed! Lovely!

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

I'm in zone 6a myself so i wonder if they'd survive here. It really is a very pretty plant and yours is just spectacular.

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

a2zmom: I've read that the cultivar, 'Miss Huff', is heartier than any other type of lantana. So if you try to plant one as a perennial on the south side of a structure in zone 6a, I would try that one.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Love that the hummingbirds are attracted to it. Great photo of them! I have sometimes added some but I see I'm going to have to do them again and plant more of them.

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

delete post

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 5:07

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also have Lantana 'Confetti' and 'Dallas Red' on the south side of my house, but I'm not impressed by either of these cultivars. They don't seem to be growing as fast or be blooming as profusely as my unknown lantana. They are not supoposed to be very hardy at all, so I wonder if that has something to do with it?
    It's ironic that the lantana that is growing the best for me is the one that was free. lol

• david883
    10 years ago

I wish lantanas were perennials here... I'm in MI too and I LOVE them. I didn't get any this year and I regret that decision very much. Plantingman - those look great!

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

delete post

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 5:08

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the information, GreatPlains1. The best discription I have read about lantanas and their hardiness is, "wait and see." :-) lol
    But I am seriously doubting my Dallas Reds will come back. Here it is July 11, and the stems on my D. Reds haven't hardened off yet. The Confettis' stems have hardened off somewhat, so they may or may not return. I guess I'll just have to "wait and see."

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

delete post

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 5:09