Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
three4rd

Flower buds on Butterfly Bush 'Black Knight'

three4rd
9 years ago

Hi,

I recently planted this buddleia in replacement of a huge bush that was a victim of the harsh winter here in PA. I have never seen flower buds on any butterfly bush that look like this. It reminds me of the weird, round sticky flowers that a dracaena sometimes puts out. I just thought I'd post a picture to see if anyone can identify this as being what the flowers on 'black knight' usually look like in the bud stage. If these are not going to turn into flowers, I suppose I should cut them off?

Thanks,
Keith

Comments (4)

• tepelus
    9 years ago

They're flower buds, but I don't think you have Black Knight. I seem to recall a different type of buddleia that has several round clusters of flowers at the end of the branches that are more of a yellow or peachy color, whereas Black Knight has one long cluster. But, wait until it blooms to see. I could be wrong.

Karen

• jadeite
    9 years ago

I agree with Karen, this looks like buddleia x weyeriana. See link below for photos. I have this, just planted a week ago. The OP's picture looks very much like mine with the same grey-green leaves and flowers in small clusters like pom poms along the stem.

Cheryl

Here is a link that might be useful: buddleia weyeriana

• three4rd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Karen and Cheryl,

I believe you are absolutely correct! I checked out the link and the weyeriana buds match what I have. I must have never come across this type of bush. While I'm sure it will be nice, I am disappointed that it was sold to me as Black Knight (even had a tag on it by that name). I do intend to contact my nursery and inquire about it. I really like the long flowers that most bushes produce. The tag on mine even indicated it as a dark purplish color. I can't believe that the nursery goofed on this. I just hope that this weyeriana grows tall and is hardy. Thanks SO much for the information. I suppose I can get used to the pom-pom flowers! At least it is alive and growing and doing well! But the nursery needs to know that they sold me something different than what I was told.

Best,
    Keith

• jadeite
    9 years ago

Keith, I agree that you should tell the nursery they sold you the wrong buddleia. Perhaps they will give you Black Knight since b. weyeriana isn't what you wanted. But I hope you keep b.w. and post back on how it grows for you. I have b. davidii royal red which has a different charm, so I understand why you want black knight. My b.w. is honeycomb which has custard yellow flowers.

I saw it locally on a garden tour and instantly knew I wanted it. Here in NM it grows to about 6' high, around 4' across. Unlike b. davidii it is more upright and statuesque. It makes a BIG statement! The garden where I saw it had a semi-circular bed of them, about 6, all in bloom. It took my breath away.

I spoke to the owners about hardiness. They said they had had them for about 8 years. We're supposed to be Z7, but we've had subzero winters twice in the past 4 years. The b.w. had a lot of dieback, but they pruned it and it grew back strongly.

Good luck,
    Cheryl