Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need some suggestions please. . .

Posted by babera 5a (Montana) (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 20:08

I am in the process or redoing my main flower bed off the patio. I lost 2 boxwoods this past winter, which was OK in the end. I have since decided I would rather have flowers where they were. I did leave the main bones in the bed : dwarf burning bush, heliopsis, hibiscus, 2 peonies (just because I am afraid to move them) and a Stella d'oro lily. I have a lot of pink, purple and white beds so I decided to do this one in bright colors. Also I already have the red and yellow there. I recently bought gaillardia Arizona sun, black-eyed Susan, salvia Marcus and coreopsis moon beam. Here's my problem. . . I also bought Gaillardia red Plume only to find out it's an annual. A self seeder if let go, I don't want that in this bed, there isn't enough room to have self seeders. I need something medium height (1-2') for the back center. Preferably red. The bed is full sun, decent soil with good drainage. I have a young red yarrow I was thinking about plopping in there. It will be between the coreopsis and Black-eyed Susans. Will it get tall enough to work in the back and will it get too big and dwarf the other plants in there? All/most of the plants in here appreciate drying out between thourgh waterings. If any of you have a better suggestion I'd love to hear from you.

PS this is a double sided flower bed, it can be seen from the driveway as well as the yard, divided by an iron fence. I placed the taller plants (hibiscus and Heliopsis) on the corners. I don't want the tallest ones in the back b/c I like to watch the grandkids play in the driveway. I also noticed a cutting of Clematis left from a transplant growing along the fence which I will let be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need some suggestions please. . .

Monarda 'Jacob Cline' might be a good option

o

• Posted by babera 5a (Montana) (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 22:04

Awwwww good answer kiri. . . right size, color and will be a happy in that spot. . . I see Bluestone Perennials has some but they don't ship til fall. . . Thanks. . .

o

I love, love, love my Chicago Apache daylilies - and I don't even like red, lol!

:)
Dee

P.S. I hesitated to put this particular link in, since when I called it up the first review was not favorable. But this is the best photo in terms of color, IMO. Just the like color in real life in my garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicago Apache

o

• Posted by babera 5a (Montana) (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 0:06

That is a beauty Dee. . . I do have a few red lilies in there (I forgot about them til this season when they bloomed) They just don't stick around long enough. I do appreciate the link and suggestion, Thank You. . .!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here