Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babera_gw

I need some suggestions please. . .

babera
9 years ago

I am in the process or redoing my main flower bed off the patio. I lost 2 boxwoods this past winter, which was OK in the end. I have since decided I would rather have flowers where they were. I did leave the main bones in the bed : dwarf burning bush, heliopsis, hibiscus, 2 peonies (just because I am afraid to move them) and a Stella d'oro lily. I have a lot of pink, purple and white beds so I decided to do this one in bright colors. Also I already have the red and yellow there. I recently bought gaillardia Arizona sun, black-eyed Susan, salvia Marcus and coreopsis moon beam. Here's my problem. . . I also bought Gaillardia red Plume only to find out it's an annual. A self seeder if let go, I don't want that in this bed, there isn't enough room to have self seeders. I need something medium height (1-2') for the back center. Preferably red. The bed is full sun, decent soil with good drainage. I have a young red yarrow I was thinking about plopping in there. It will be between the coreopsis and Black-eyed Susans. Will it get tall enough to work in the back and will it get too big and dwarf the other plants in there? All/most of the plants in here appreciate drying out between thourgh waterings. If any of you have a better suggestion I'd love to hear from you.

PS this is a double sided flower bed, it can be seen from the driveway as well as the yard, divided by an iron fence. I placed the taller plants (hibiscus and Heliopsis) on the corners. I don't want the tallest ones in the back b/c I like to watch the grandkids play in the driveway. I also noticed a cutting of Clematis left from a transplant growing along the fence which I will let be.

Comments (4)