Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

need some ideas for some red perennials

maidinmontana
14 years ago

I have converted all of my beds to reds, yellows, oranges and purples. Pastels don't work for me.

I have a salvia that is the dark purple and so wish there were a red one like it but my research comes up w/nothing.

There isn't a lot of red annuals either to fill in with so I was hoping I could get some advise here on some good red pers.

Thanks to any and all.

Comments (10)

• echinaceamaniac
    14 years ago

I'm loving Echinacea "Tomato Soup." It's beautiful. Other red Echies are "Firebird" and "Hot Lava."

Lobelia cardinalis is beautiful.

Gaillardia "Goblin" is nice but it is red with yellow tips on the petals.

• hunt4carl
    14 years ago

These suggestions are all "vibrant reds", not just shadings of red:

- Monarda 'Jacob Cline' (one of my all-time favorites!)
    - Here's a second vote for Lobelia cardinalis, with several varieties to chose
    from, including one with green/gold leaves ('Golden Touch')
    - Phlox paniculata 'Starfire'
    - Persicaria amplexicaulis (Firetail). . .a real knock-out and seldom seen!
    - Dianthus barbatus 'Heart Attack' (Sweet William)
    - Lychnis chalcedonica (Maltese Cross)
    - Lychnis coronaria 'Gardener's World'
    - Aquilegia 'Ruby Port' (Columbine)
    - Primula 'Miller's Crimson'

Then, when you include "shades" of red, there's Knautia macedonica, a dozen or so varieities of Hemerocallis (daylilies), certain hollyhocks, Centranthus ruber, several Chrysanthemums, a few peonies, dozens of shrubs with
    red flowers and/or red berries (plus all the "red twig" dogwoods!). . .

And how could I have forgotten the REDDEST of all: Oriental poppies!

Finally, you CAN have red salvia - but in your Zone 5, it will of necessity be a tender perennial (replace it each year like an annual). . .check out the link below and you'll see what I mean. A little tip: Salvia elegans (Pineapple Sage) is readily available almost anywhere, and is almost always located in the herb section, not with the perennials. . .

Carl

Here is a link that might be useful: Lazy SS Farm

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

Yes, a neighbor grew red monarda, don't know the variety, then pulled it all out and never saw it again, had a beautiful patch of it, wish I'd asked exactly what it was.

My white monarda is mildewed, plus monardas like soil on the damp side, spread very fast, easy to pull, and attracts bees, hummingbirds and butterflies. Mine just started blooming within this past week, and I don't know how long it will bloom, don't think the rest of the summer.

It doesn't look that damp in this spot down the alley where I saw it growing in large drifts, photo not the sharpest.

{{gwi:255405}}

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

My gardens are also reds, oranges and yellows (minus the purple) and here are some reds I'm growing:

Gaillardia 'Burgundy'
    Achillea 'Walter Funke'
    Achillea 'Paprika'
    Dianthus 'Ideal Select Red' (It's supposed to be an annual, but some of mine are on their 3rd year in zone 5)
    Geum 'Blazing Sunset'
    Lychnis chalcedonia (Maltese cross)
    Lychnis 'Vesuvius'
    Penstemon pinifolius
    Silene regia
    Ipomopsis rubra (Standing Cypress) - this one is listed as only hardy to zone 6, but I'm hoping I get lucky
    Poppies - both annual and perennial versions in red

As far as red annuals go, there are plenty of annual red salvias, marigold 'Scarlet Starlet', nasturtiums, petunias, verbena, and zinnias.

Bonnie

• bean_counter_z4
    14 years ago

How about lilies? There are some very red Asiatics. Daylilies, Sweet William, and phlox. These are all reds in my garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:255402}}

• tasymo
    14 years ago

I second the suggestion of Red Bee Balm and Pink Campion. Lots of Folks cringe at the thought of pink, orange and red in the same bed, but I personally LOVE my crazy combination.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ontnative
    14 years ago

I have a garden with many "hot colours" in it, and one of the reddest plants I grow is Crocosmia 'Lucifer'. It really gives "zip" to a summer border.

Here is a link that might be useful: crocosmia 'Lucifer'

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Some red perennials

Heuchera sanguinea
    Maltese Cross
    Monarda
    Red Valerian
    Some phlox cultivars
    Hardy mums
    Penstemon

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Oh, forgot to say, red flowering lupines. One of my favorite perennials. Some cultivars you may consider are "morello cherry", "gallery red", and "my castle".

• Donna
    14 years ago

Lots of great suggestion here. I would add Bishop of Llandaff dahlias. They have dark purple foliage (gorgeous alone) and the blooms are rich blue red with a deep yellow eye. They are not great big and tall, so mix into borders extremely well. They're worth the trouble of digging each fall.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm