Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdpeony

Fall Perennials

BlueBirdPeony
10 years ago

Hi, Friends. Just starting to think about fall flowers. Any of you planting things now for fall blooms?
I already have Asters and Russian Sage. Those are the only fall flowers I have.
What does well in containers?
Thoughts?

Comments (10)

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I like mums for fall. Some of my heathers/heaths color up nicely when the weather gets cooler. Plus, they're evergreen so they look nice all year. Sedum is great for fall, especially "Autumn Joy". Coreopsis bloom from early summer through fall for me. All of these plants can be used successfully in containers.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Crocosmia/Montbretia is a late season bloomer that adds a punch of sharp red in the garden. Caryopteris/blue mist shrub is a bit delicate looking but adds cool blue interest. Chelone/turtlehead blooms toward the end of the growing season as does Actea/ Cimicifuga racemosa/black snakeroot. For really late season blooms, Trycirtis hirta/toad lily is spectacular in my shade bed about the time the hostas are finished for the season. Persicaria virginiana/fleeceflower keeps it's lovely, interesting patterned foliage right up 'til frost.

Can't speak to how well any of them would do in containers other than the Crocosmia since mine are all planted in the ground. The rule of thumb with container gardening is that perennials must be hardy to at least two zones colder than where you are for them to survive the winter.

That said, I grew lavender from seed that has survived the past three years in containers.

• kimka
    10 years ago

My tall fall bloomer is Monkshood. They are in the center of my big perennial bead and tower over everything except the butterfly bush.

I also have a beatutiful stand of blue and black and blue sage that blooms until frost, I expected these to be annuals, but they've come back every year now for five years.

• robinmi_gw
    10 years ago

Many Salvias........such as guaranitica, involucrata, and atrocyanea.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

There's a great thread in the FAQ about lesser-known fall plants.

For flowers I have Cimicifuga/Actea, Gentiana scabra, Jolly Bee geranium, several asters, both shrubby and herbaceous Caryopteris, some perennial mums, Colchicum AKA autumn crocus, and fall-blooming crocus. In some areas type 2 clematis will bloom a second time, but I haven't yet had any luck getting a second bloom on mine, perhaps because my season is a bit short. For much of my long-term autumn color, I rely on foliage, including shrubs: several geraniums, several Viburnum, Amsonia hubrichtii, and Fothergilla.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ little known fall plants

• marquest
    10 years ago

Fall for me is September to Nov..

Roses
    Sedum
    Hostas
    Rose of Sharon Bush
    Hardy Hibiscus
    Daylyliies
    Iris
    Heucheras

All of these can and are grown in pots on my patio and at the entrance of my home.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

I like extending the season into the fall. I don't think it's easy to keep your garden looking great by the fall though. Especially in a year when you've had any significant drought. But, I keep trying and I can manage to have a few pockets of color, a last gasp so to speak, lol.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Chrysanthemums

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Even harder this year, because that Euphorbia didn't come back this spring.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Any of you planting things now for fall blooms?

===>>> it is very hard.. to plant things NOW ... for fall bloom ...

especially in the midwest on july/august ... and i am talking about in a method that is rather care free.. if you are there 24/7 to TLC things.. maybe you can succeed.. where peeps who want a more care free garden cant ... its all about transplant shock ....

and that.. if you can find decent stock for sale ....

the trick.. is to start making a list in sept.. of what you see that interests you.. so you plant the things in the proper planting season ... spring.. for the fall show ...

if you have a lot of vertical space.. the autumn sweet clematis can be stunning ...

ken